Chapter 45: Being Better

Start from the beginning

If no one's arrived, then maybe they can't get here. I'm the only other person besides Purah and maybe Seldon who can stitch and bandage. I have to go there, Prima's voice appeared.

You aren't gonna change her mind. At least, not without a fight, and we don't have time for that. I'll follow you after I inform Purah, Teli's voice followed after.

Manny's heart pounded against his ribcage. It was amazing the dozens of sweat drops on his forehead hadn't frozen from the cold. Even while balled into fists, his hands wouldn't stop trembling.

Stop! You aren't like them! he said to himself. He closed his eyes, trying to control his shaky breathing. Even when the sight of Link's pleading, bloodshot eyes appeared in his mind, he tried to wave them away. You aren't crazy like them!

Hey... Make sure you come back. We need to build up your tolerance to alcohol so nothing happens next time. Got it?

His eyes snapped back open.

"Wait!" he called out. Again, Reede (who was now a few paces away) stopped and turned to face him. "I-I-I'm coming..."

"I appreciate your concern, Manny, but you've done enough," the mayor answered. "Please, head home to safety-"

"I can't," Manny said unsteadily. "E... Everyone else went... I'm the only one who stayed behind. K-knowing they're there, I c-can't just sit here..."

Reede raised an eyebrow as his townsman marched through the snow to catch up with him.

"It's quite unusual of you to be so mindful of others, if I'm being up front," Reede said as soon as Manny caught up. "What prompted the sudden change?"

"I-it'll look lame if I'm the only one who decided to run and hide," Manny said shakily. "A-all those beautiful ladies are up there being knocked around by some assassin... T-they need a hero! Yeah... Yeah, Link isn't the only hero in this town! I-I'll save them... Yeah... I-I won't let Link beat me this time. Not, uh... Not this time..."

At some point, he had started talking more so to himself rather than to the mayor. Regardless of his fears, with trembling legs he took another step forward, passing Reede, and began heading to the house on the cliffside. Still unsure, the mayor soon followed, quickly catching up.

"You don't have to prove anything, Manny," Reede said. "You're right: this is a dangerous situation. You've done enough to-"

"Everyone says I don't do enough in this town," Manny said suddenly without looking over at the mayor. "This is a chance to prove them wrong..."

No one would even know, much less believe you, son, Reede thought to himself, but after a quick moment to himself, he smiled warmly. You've changed, even if just a little.

The two traveled through the snow, following what they knew was the path that led to their destination buried deep underneath. Silence had fallen between them. While Reede remained calm and collected, Manny still shook, and it wasn't because of the cold. The closer they got, the more anxious he seemed to become. His eyes darted around, trying to stay as aware as possible. After passing through the Bolson Construction Company display houses, they stopped at the beginning of the bridge and looked out toward the cottage sitting on the other side.

"I-it looks normal," Manny stammered.

"From the outside, yes," Reede said. "I hope it looks the same on the inside. Are you still set on coming with me?"

"D-don't ask me that now!" Manny said nervously, wiping his wrist against his mouth. With another wipe (this time across his forehead), he said, "c-come on! L-let's go..."