Yes, that was how it was supposed to be, just like her parents.

She should have done that from the beginning.

*

Prince Elis looked over the royal gardens; from sitting on the castle roofs, he could see the pattern of a rose that the flower beds and uniform trees took shape.

"Excuse me," said a voice, clearing their throat.

Elis jolted, turning behind to see the balcony window nearby open and Prince Li poking his head through. "Oh, hello." Elis waved awkwardly.

"May I enquire what you are doing on the roof Prince Elis?" asked Li, folding his arms and leaning against the window pane.

"Just getting some air," Elis laughed. Partly true, but also to avoid hearing all of the whispering and dirty looks he received from the royal servants and guards.

"I see..." Prince Li paused. "It is not because of... an incident that occurred earlier this day?"

Elis sighed. "You heard about that?"

"Everyone has."

Elis focused back on the garden below, how small everything looked from high up.

Prince Li hesitantly stepped through his window and sat on the roof, joining Elis. "I only heard rumours; many of them differ in the details..."

"Queen Corinna proposed to me," said Elis flatly.

"You do not sound pleased."

"I don't know what to feel," Elis murmured, glancing away, his hand tapping his leg. "I didn't expect it-"

They both paused as they heard another window open nearby; it was Princess Natasa, whose quarters were next to Li's. To their surprise, Prince Fiorenzo also appeared next to her.

"What are you doing on the roof?" she yelled.

"What is Fiorenzo doing in your room!" retorted Elis, receiving a chuckle from Li.

"Nothing!" replied Natasa and Fiorenzo unconvincingly. They both joined Elis and Li sitting on the roof.

"Is it true you rejected Queen Corinna?" asked Natasa.

"I- I didn't reject her," stammered Elis. "I said I needed time to think-"

"That's rejecting her," Fiorenzo said flatly. "That's the cruel version of rejecting someone."

"Cruel version?"

"Yes, you are basically rejecting her but giving her false hope that you will say yes perhaps one day. It is the cruel wait-"

"But I do genuinely need to think about it!" Elis sighed. "I needed time."

"Why do you need to think about it?" asked Natasa. "Surely you knew otherwise you wouldn't have come here in the first place."

"I only come to these things to appease my parents," said Elis. "Even they know it will never amount to anything."

"What about that romantic walk you had?"

"I wouldn't say it was romantic; we just talked."

"It definitely seems that have left an impression on the queen," said Li. "Did it not leave an impression on you?"

Elis glanced away, his hand tapping even quicker. "I'm not sure..." he mumbled. "I don't know."

"Well, I suggest you decide quickly," said Fiorenzo. "If you didn't want a war with Prince Drustan, then you now have yourself one with Queen Corinna, which is likely worse."