Chapter 50

Day: 1244

Days Left: 4236

Lives Saved: 6

Queen Corinna sat on the bench in front of the duck pond, noticing that the ducklings she had seen the last time she visited the park had grown, the feathers patchy in colour and fluffy, no longer following their mother apart from one that still swam close.

Eventually, Rhea Earl sat down on the bench, and Jane, the golem servant, sat in the middle, separating Cori and Rhea.

"I apologise," said Rhea. "If I kept Your Majesty waiting for too long."

Cori shook her head.

There was a moment of silence as they watched the pond, the ducks quaking as a passerby threw in some bread.

"I heard through the grapevine that Your Majesty is close to choosing a spouse," said Rhea.

She likely heard from one of her relatives who still worked in the castle, thought Cori, though it was not a secret. Somehow the information had been leaked to the public, likely Sophia's doing to stir some drama. Prince Karl was one of the favourites, probably due to him going around giving fireworks performances. But was that all he ever did?

"Yes," said Cori, using her own voice instead of speaking through her golem Jane. Her voice crackled, constantly sore.

Rhea frowned at hearing this. "Have you been to the doctor-"

"Yes, We did," groaned Cori. "There's nothing they can do." She paused. "It is just a sore throat, nothing malicious lying underneath."

"It has been going on for quite some time," muttered Rhea in concern.

Cori nodded. "It will likely be for the rest of Our life, but We can talk through Jane if it becomes too painful."

"So long as you are alright, dear," said Rhea, then quickly added, "Your Majesty," after remembering that she was speaking to an adult queen and not the young princess she was the nursemaid to.

"We are," replied Cori.

There was another moment of silence.

"So, these marriage candidates," Rhea began. "Any that take Your Majesty's fancy? Has it been difficult to decide?"

Cori hesitated for a while, preparing her words carefully. "We know which candidate would be best for certain circumstances."

"Circumstances?"

"We mean how We want to rule the country or what the purpose of Us marrying would be."

"And what purposes are those, Your Majesty?"

"To establish stronger foreign connections; have an heir with a powerful magical bloodline; the best person to run the country with Us; and..." Her voice trailed away.

Rhea smiled softly as if she could read that silence and what Cori wanted to say. "And what does Your Majesty believe is the more important? What does your partner require as a priority?"

Cori bowed her head in thought. "Whatever is best for the country."

Rhea nodded.

They both stared at the ducks in the pond.

"Does the country need to strengthen our foreign connections?" asked Rhea.

Cori turned her head. "Not necessarily need... It would be beneficial." She paused. "Our Foreign Adviser has reported that even hosting this marriage party has strengthened our connections."