𝟎𝟎𝟑.the drama queen of the quarry

Start from the beginning

"Yes, mom." He called back.

"You too. Don't wander too far. Stay within shouting distance. And if you see anything, holler. I'll come running." Dale called out from the top of his RV.

"Yes, mom." Lori said. "Wait mom where are you going?" Rory asks her mother. "Just into the woods find pick some more food." Lori said.

"I'll come." Rory offered. "No it's aight I can handle it – just stay here with your brother." She said and walked off before Rory could argue.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

"𝐀𝐓𝐓𝐀𝐁𝐎𝐘" Shane said to Carl as the two sat next to one another on a log with Shane teaching him how to tie a clove hitch knot. Lori was behind the pair hanging out laundry while watching them while Rory sat on the ground leaning against another log near by with a sketch pad she got from Dale.

A few weeks back Dale had seen the girl drawing on her hand with a purple gel pen she had on her before they had to evacuate. So he went into his RV and after some searching found a sketch pad and some pencils and offered them both to the grimes girl insisting it was better then her drawing on her hand. She took it thanking him over and over again happy she finally had something to draw on.

Drawing was her escape. Her way of forgetting about the rest of the world and only focusing on the pen and paper in front of her. She had drawn may things such as the forest, Dales RV, and even some people. Some of the people at the camp had seen her drawing and requested they draw one of them to which the girl was happy to do.

"And three, two, one... pull it." Shane said as Rory looked up to see her brother attempt to tie a knot but then it failing.

"Ah! Aw." He said making both Shane and Rory chuckle.

"Start it over. Make your "p" the other way... around your finger." Shane said as Carl attempted to do what the man instructed.

"Oops." He said making Shane smile. "Good, just tie it like around your finger. Attaboy." He congratulated once Carl had actually successfully tied the knot. Shane moved his eyes over to the girl who was intensely looking at her sketch pad drawing.

"Does Rory want to learn how to tie a clove hitch knot?" Shane asks with a teasing smile making her look up from her pad seeing Shane and Carl looking at her.

"You know I think I'm good. I'll leave the knot tying to you men." She joked. Shane shook his head knowing damn well everything that just came out of her mouth was a lie. Just then the radio squawks.

"Hello, base camp! Can anybody out there hear me? Base camp, this is T-Dog. Anybody hear me?"

Rory watches as Dale takes the radio. "Hello? Hello? Reception's bad on this end. Repeat. Repeat." He says into the radio waiting for a response.

"Shane, is that you?"

"Is that them?" Lori asks looking at Dale.

"We're in some deep shit. We're trapped in the department store."

"He said they're trapped?" Shane spoke up. Oh shit. If there suck and surrounded by geeks, there chance of getting out is near to zero, and everyone knew it,

"There are geeks all over the place. Hundreds of 'em. We're surrounded."

"T-Dog, repeat that last. Repeat." The old man said only to hear that the radio had lost connection and had cut out.

"He said the department store." Lori asks making Dale nod. Rory along with Carl stood up walking towards the RV with Rory placing her hands on Carl's shoulders.

"I heard it too." He said confirming the woman was right. "Shane?" Lori calls out. Shane shakes his head. "No way. We do not go after them. We do not risk the rest of the group. Y'all know that." He said leaving some of them in disbelief.

"So we're just gonna leave her there?" Amy says in pure anger and disbelief. Shane sighs.

"Look, Amy, I know that this is not easy..." Amy interrupts him. "She volunteered to go to help the rest of us." Any fought wanting to go after her sister.

"I know, and she knew the risks, right? See, if she's trapped, she's gone. So we just have to deal with that. There's nothing we can do." He said making her shake her head in utter disgust and disbelief.

"She's my sister, you son of a bitch." She said and storms offs Lori looks at Shane and then makes her way after Amy. Suddenly Rory hears the sound of thunder rumbling. Rory sighs and turns to look at Shane.

"Did you really have to be that harsh bout it?" She asks. Shane turns to look at the girl. "It had to be said. If we go out there it's puts both yours and your brothers life at risk and I can't take that." He said. Rory simply nods not having it in her to fight the man.

"I'm doing the best I can Rory. I'm doing what's best for the group." He said turning on his heels and walking away. Rory made a puzzled face.

Was Shane doing what was best for the group – or was he doing what was best for himself. Rory already knew the answer. But she decided to have an open mind in thinking Shane had good intentions.

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

authors note!!

next chapter Rick is back!!

i can't wait to write Rick and Rory and how there dynamic is gonna work. They are literally gonna be my favourite to write; besides Carl and Rory who will always be number one.