- c h a p t e r - t w e n t y-n i n e -

She didn't remember running through various doors and rooms, but when she arrived in the lobby of the Ministry–her focus was pinpointed on the sound of screams.

The sound was sobering, and despite the lingering rage, when she saw Harry with his wand pointed at Bellatrix–who had been throwing to the ground–the word "CRUCIO" echoing in the air–Gemma realised her brother had cast an Unforgivable Curse.

Never in her entire life would she have thought that he would cast one of those spells on someone–even if it was someone he hated with every fibre of his being.

"Never used an Unforgivable Curse before, have you, boy?" Bellatrix was already on her feet–apparently not in pain. "You need to mean them, Potter! You need to really want to cause pain — to enjoy it — righteous anger won't hurt me for long — I'll show you how it is done, shall I? I'll give you a lesson —"

Bellatrix's eyes fell on Gemma, and a light erupted in them as she aimed her wand at her shouting, "CRUCIO!!!"

Gemma had not even realised she had shouted a counterspell, but the beam of light bounced off and hit a statue in the centre of the fountain to her left.

Bellatrix looked a little startled that she had evaded the curse–giving Gemma enough time to sprint across the room and duck behind a pillar.

Her chest heaved as she looked at Harry across the room.

He looked like he was in pain–but his eyes glowed with an undeniable rage and hunger for revenge.

Gemma felt her chest tighten as the same feeling hit her again–but a slight twinge of guilt filled her.

If she had to–would she kill Bellatrix for what she did to Sirius?

Gemma wanted to answer yes to herself, but she couldn't ever imagine killing another human being.

Pushing those thoughts away, Gemma raised a brow at him, wordlessly asking, Attack?

He nodded, biting his lip.

And suddenly, beams of colour and flashes of light erupted around the lobby as Gemma rushed to Harry's side behind the fountain as Bellatrix shrieked, "Potter, I am going to give you one chance! Give me the prophecy — roll it out toward me now — and I may spare both your lives!"

"Well, you're going to have to kill me, because it's gone!" Harry bellowed–shocking Gemma with that news–and winced as he clutched his forehead in agony, "And he knows!" Harry let a maniacal laugh fall from his lips, making Gemma bite her lip worriedly. "Your dear old mate Voldemort knows it's gone! He's not going to be happy with you, is he?"

"What? What do you mean?" Bellatrix demanded, sounding horrified.

"The prophecy smashed when I was trying to get Neville up the steps! What do you think Voldemort'll say about that, then?"

Harry's eyes were filled with tears–the droplets of water trickling down his cheeks as he clutched onto Gemma's hand tightly–trying to fight the pain.

"LIAR!" The evil witch screamed. "YOU'VE GOT IT, POTTER, AND YOU WILL GIVE IT TO ME — Accio Prophecy! ACCIO PROPHECY!"

Harry laughed again, releasing Gemma's hand and showing off his empty one–only to pull it right back as Bellatrix shot a green light at it. "Nothing there! Nothing to summon! It smashed, and nobody heard what it said, tell your boss that — "

"No!" Bellatrix cried. "It isn't true, you're lying —" Then her voice became garbled, "MASTER, I TRIED, I TRIED — DO NOT PUNISH ME —"

"Don't waste your breath!" Harry snapped back, his breathing heavy with pain. "He can't hear you from here!"