- c h a p t e r - t w e n t y-f o u r -

June 20th.

That was the date of her hearing at the Ministry, and since learning this information, Gemma was a mess.

She was composed on the outside, but she was falling apart on the inside while the world around her was also crumbling down.

Umbridge had been promoted and was now the headmistress, and all hell was raining over Hogwarts.

She had assembled a squad of students called the Inquisitor Squad, and the gits had been docking points from the Gryffindor hourglass left and right, giving Gryffindor no hope of winning the house cup that year. And with the D.A. also had been disbanded, which gave her no more outlets to relieve her stress.

And Umbridge had constantly been breathing down Gemma's neck, driving the girl to hide in the clock tower, the library, or sometimes even finding refuge in Hagrid's hut to escape her smug and knowing gaze.

The day that she had spiked Harry's tea with a truth serum–to which he proceeded to not drink it and evaded all her questions about Dumbledore, Sirius, and the Order–had made her paranoia grow even further. Then when Harry told her, Ron, and Hermione that the Floo Network was being regulated (all of them except the headmistress's), that alllll the mail was being opened and inspected by the Inquisitorial Squad, and that Mr. Filch was monitoring the secret passages all over the castle, Gemma knew that Hogwarts was now just a prison and she almost requested for a get outta jail free card to drop out and go home–but she stayed.

For a couple reasons.

1) She could not leave her brother and best friends behind to the mercy of the Umbitch.

2) She, Fred, and George had planned a plethora of things to do to get back at the new tyrant of Hogwarts.

She had literally marched up to the boy's room the night everything had happened in Dumbledore's office–after she explained the situation with her hearing to Ron and Harry. And her anxiety was on the fritz, so she knocked on their door, entered with her eyes closed–just in case–and declared, "Anyone want to drive to the pink demon back from where she came?"

And since then, the three of them had been devising Umbridge's demise.

So, the same day that this happened to Harry in Umbridge's office–the woman's first day as the newly appointed headmistress of Hogwarts, the three of them had set off a humongous crate of enchanted fireworks.

And they got away with it.

The whole point of the pranks was to drive Umbridge up the wall and do it all under her flat, ugly nose.

So while gold and green sparks in the form of dragons soared up and down the halls, shocking-pink Catherine wheels–like five feet in diameter–whizzed around dangerously like flying saucers, rockets with silver star tails shot around, sparklers were writing swear words in midair, and firecrackers blew up like land mines, Gemma and the twins were watching from the shadows as absolute mayhem was ensuing.

All while grinning like mad men and woman.

It was even better when Umbridge and Filch were trying to stop several smoking dragons, and a large purple bat took off for an open door that led to the second floor, and the former tried to Stupefy one of the rockets. Instead of freezing like she wanted it to, it exploded with a force that blew a hole through one of the paintings behind it.

Fred had to put a hand over Gemma's mouth to stifle her laughs, but he didn't stop her fast enough. Two seconds later, Harry ducked into the door hidden by a tapestry that the three had been watching from behind.