- c h a p t e r - s e v e n - p.2 -

Gemma had barely made it to class on time, and when she did get there, she was shocked to see Hermione waiting for her in the hallway.

"Why are you—"

"Couldn't let you be the one getting in trouble by yourself," Hermione said simply.

Gemma blinked in surprise before grinning at her, "Thanks."

She smiled, "You feel better? You look brighter."

The auburn-haired girl nodded, "I feel better, yeah. Did you and Ron stop fighting?"

Hermione sighed, "Yes, we did. We better get in there before we do get a tardy."

"Oh, yeah," Gemma grabbed her hand and pulled her into the classroom with her.

Very soon, class was over, and they were to reunite with the boys after their class with Professor Trelawney.

After third year, the teenager had decided she did not want to be in Divination, which Hermione supported because she thought Trewlawney was a quack anyways.

She saw Ron and Harry making their way to the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom and dragged Hermione alone, flanking Harry's left side and linking arms with him, "How was Trelawney?"

Harry opened his mouth to answer when Ron groaned, "She gave us sooooooo much homework...I mean, we already have sooo much!"

Gemma grimaced, "Yeah, 'Mione and I have a bit too."

When the four entered the classroom, everyone was chatting and having fun, and Gemma grinned as she watched an enchanted paper bird fly across the room.

She went to touch it when it set on fire, and everyone watched it in silence.

The ashes rained over her, making her hair look grey as everyone turned to face the front of the class.

Gemma's back went rigid as she took her seat with Hermione, her eyes never leaving the toad woman dressed in that horrific fluffy pink cardigan from the night before. And today, she wore a black bow, making it look like she had a giant fly pinned to her creepy head.

Everyone silenced, no one laughing or grinning anymore as Professor Umbridge looked once over the now quiet students before saying in her pitchy voice, "Well, good afternoon!"

Gemma did not reply, and neither did most of the class, except for a few people.

The woman frowned, making her look so much like a toad, Gemma almost laughed, "Tut, tut. That won't do, now, will it? I should like you, please, to reply 'Good afternoon, Professor Umbridge.' One more time, please. Good afternoon, class!"

Gemma, along with the rest of the class, in a tight voice, chanted at her, "Good afternoon, Professor Umbridge."

"There, now," Professor Umbridge's sickly sweet voice made Gemma cringe. "That wasn't too difficult, was it? Wands away and quills out, please."

Hermione and Gemma glanced at one another before pulling their quills, ink, and parchment out, but Gemma left her wand on her desk, just in case.

Professor Umbridge pulled her oddly short wand out of her handbag and tapped the blackboard, making words appear on the surface:

Defence Against the Dark Arts

A Return to Basic Principles

"Well, now, your teaching in this subject has been rather disrupted and fragmented, hasn't it?" Professor Umbridge said as she turned back to all of them, clasping her hands in front of her. "The constant changing of teachers, many of whom do not seem to have followed any Ministry-approved curriculum, has unfortunately resulted in your being far below the standard we would expect to see in your O.W.L. year.