- - 35 - -

"Here, Holland," Tanner says over the loud buzzing in the atrium. He hands me a plate of food, and I accept it with sudden hunger.

When I finished my video recording session just moments ago, Tanner waited for me outside the doorway so he could show me the way to dinner. He said Stephen would probably be finished later, and now I want later to be now.

I glance at my tray with disdain, piles of textures with different colors separated on the plate. I thought Enhancement Project food was weird, and I didn't expect it to get any weirder. I'm clearly wrong.

Tanner sits down on the floor next to me and places his tray near his folded legs. Fitting into our surroundings, we form our own Camp in the middle of the atrium. "Enjoy."

"Thanks," I say, setting down my own tray next to his. I try not to look too disgusted as the small portion of food releases a thin cloud of steam into the air. It's the oddest thing I've ever seen.

"Why is it letting off smoke?" I ask.

" 'Cuz it's hot," Tanner says with a mouthful of the food. He laughs a little, mistaking my flatness for humor. "I keep forgetting you haven't seen food like this. But try it. It's really good."

"You sure?" I glance at him and back at my tray. I pick at the brown section of food before tasting a piece.

I shrug. It's not horrible.

Tanner laughs again, and I shrug again, this time with a half-grin, "So do you think Stephen will be done soon?" I ask, referring to the sessions.

"Soon," Tanner says, chewing on his food and swallowing, "Don't worry about it. He'll be fine. Eat up."

I make a face at the food. Instead of eating, I search the room for Stephen. I scan every visible ledge and floor space. Not one person resembles him. I receive side glances and a few persistent stares, but nothing worthy of my full attention. I don't blame the onlookers though; no one else here is wearing a black jacket in a room of white shirts except for me.

I shrug off the peering eyes. If it were me, I'd be staring, too.

Tanner and I continue to eat, and I finally spot Stephen, clad in his own black jacket. My body relaxes a little, but Stephen doesn't walk towards Tanner and I. Instead, two guards dressed like Screeners guide Stephen up a ladder to the higher floor in the room. I feel my mouth slide open, and I reach to tap Tanner's arm and ask him what the Screeners are doing. Suddenly someone says, "Miss Renner."

I jerk my head towards the voice. Two red helmets appear in my face. I visibly jump. "Yes?" I manage to splutter.

"If you would come with us, please, for the ceremony," the Screener says evenly.

I glance at Tanner, and he nods. My stomach refuses to settle, but I rise from my seat anyways. Every cell in my body protests. What other option do I have?

The two Screeners wait for me to stand, already positioning themselves in some sort of a formation. The one Screener leads the way while the other follows in my wake. As we parade across the atrium, we don't go unnoticed. It's hard to miss red Screeners in any setting anywhere. I watch the crowd, meeting their curious stares and glances.

It's easy to tell who recently arrived at Pod 14. The people who keep their eyes trained on the Screeners are the newbies like me. I don't blame them, mostly because I agree with them. How can I trust the Screeners who control everything in the country? To us, red means danger no matter where we are.

I lock eyes with a brown-haired girl my age. I nod subtly to her. I can tell she's afraid of the Screeners. The brushburned scab on her face explains everything I need to know.