Saudade: Reunion

The RN assigned to Jon was in early to talk with Audrey and check on Jon. She was friendlier than the LPN from the night before and sympathetic to the situation Audrey was in. Audrey was able to ask the nurse questions and get answers without an attitude. While they were talking, the phlebotomist came by for another round of blood from Jon.

By the time the blood work was sent off to the lab, breakfast was brought in an hour too early. Audrey wasn't happy about it, but there was no point in sending it back. Jon, on the other hand, wasn't interested in food and didn't care about eating. He just wanted out of the hospital.

"Babe." Jon grabbed hold of her as she walked by and tugged at her hand.

Audrey looked at him worriedly. "What's wrong?"

"Can I get dressed?" he moaned. "I'm sick of bein' in this hospital gown thing."

"We should wait until the lab results come back, but," she glanced at the room door. "I don't see why not. You're leaving today, regardless."

Relief washed over his face. "Man, I am so glad you're really a nurse," he told her, kissing the back of her hand. "Have I told you that? 'Cause I really am."

She shook her head and smiled amusedly. It was hard not to laugh at his dramatics. "Do you want to shower first?"

Jon stared at her for a moment. An impish grin spread over his face. "I'm gonna need help with that. A lot of help."

She looked at him in surprise, then rolled her eyes when she saw the grin. "I think you'll be just fine on your own," she laughed and pulled her hand away from him.

And he was fine.

Once Jon was disconnected from the tubes and wiring, he was more himself. And he was doing remarkably better than the day before. While he was in the shower, Audrey pulled out her phone and opened the District email app.

The email from Katherine was still there.

Audrey rubbed her finger over her bottom lip, debating on whether she should tell Jon about it.

Later, she decided.

She wasn't about to let the offensive message sit there. Without thinking about it further, Audrey deleted the email and blocked Katherine's address. If she wanted to contact Jon about personal matters, she could do it through her school email and let it be logged in the system on both Jon's end and hers.

Tossing her phone into her purse, Audrey stood and stretched as much as she could. She walked over to the bathroom door and knocked on it.

"Jonny, you doing okay?"

He couldn't say no and that he desperately needed her help without laughing. Audrey ignored him and went to check on his breakfast. Although she wasn't in the mood to indulge his flirtatious joking, she was very happy to hear it.

It meant he really was feeling better, and that meant she was feeling better.

The eggs, pancake, and seasonal fruit medley that was brought in earlier was now hospital room cold. Audrey stepped into the hallway to speak to a dietary aide, who very sweetly offered to heat it up for her.

Jon was out of the shower and getting dressed when she came back into the room. This once simple task drained him, and he was back in bed with his eyes closed as soon as he had his jeans on.

"Can we leave yet?" he asked when he felt her sit next to him. He didn't bother to open his eyes.

"Not yet, my love," she told him, running her hands through his damp hair. She stood up and retrieved a towel from the bathroom.