The Return: Conspiracy of Silence Continued

...Continued

Audrey awoke suddenly the next morning and it took her several minutes to figure out why. The baby was quiet and for once she didn't feel nauseated or have a headache and her back wasn't hurting. There was no reason for her to be awake at 5:25 am. She stared at the alarm clock and watch it turned 5:26, then 5:27, thoroughly frustrated with being unable to go back to sleep and with the nagging feeling that something was wrong.

At 5:30, melodic chimes quietly rang out on the other side of the room and that's when she realized why she was awake: the space next to her that was usually cold and empty by this time in the morning was still warm and occupied.

Audrey tried to turn over, assuming that one one or both of of her boys had climbed into bed after Jon got up, but she found this a difficult task to accomplish due to the baby and the weight of the arm around her. It was when she pushed back the covers, still struggling to turn over, that she saw the early morning light gleaming off of the wedding ring on the hand holding onto the fabric of the front of her night shirt and she realized that Jon had slept through all three alarms and was going to be late starting his day. All of her struggling had failed to wake him.

On the fourth attempt, Audrey managed to get herself moved to face him. She knew something beyond work was very wrong and that he was keeping it from her. Even in his sleep he looked stressed with his brow knit tightly together with worry. Gently, she stroked his face, then his hair. At 51, there were only a few glimmers of silver in his dark hair. She smiled as she recalled what he looked like when she first met him: the long, curly hair, earring, leather jacket, and motorcycle. The motorcycle now set in the garage where it had been for years because he loved it and one day he'd ride it again. The leather jacket hung in the back of her side of the closet with the tears still in it from the accident because she loved it and one day she'd get it repaired. The earring disappeared around the time Julia was born and never returned. The long hair had been cut short long before Julia and never curled in quite the same way again. Audrey felt tears prick her eyes as she thought about how much had changed. She missed his hair. She missed the leather jacket and the motorcycle helmet that had once always been at his hip. She missed the days when they would wake up this early just to talk and spend time together before the kids woke up. She missed the late nights when they would catch up with each other after the kids had gone to bed. She just missed him.

Audrey debated on whether or not she should wake him. Jon had had a long, weary day full of meetings the day before and had come home solemn and exhausted. Julia was apparently upset with him over something and that always weighed on him more so than if the other kids were unhappy with him. He had gone up to their room early to shower before bed, but he never made it to the shower. She found him asleep on the middle of the bed, still his shirt and pants from the work day; the only thing he'd managed to get out of was his tie. He was so exhausted that Audrey could not get him awake enough to change clothes, so in his work clothes he stayed. Absently, she played with the collar of his shirt, unsure of what she should do.

He would have a hard time getting a shower in now before it was time to for him to leave if he was to make it to the District Office by 6:30. As tired as he was, he should take the morning off or better yet the day. But she knew he'd never do it. Audrey sighed and pursed her lips together. She was very tempted to call off for him. He would be upset, angry even if she did. But his temper was always short-lived and it was a chance she didn't mind taking.

Still...

"Jon."

He didn't react.

"Jon." Gently, she shook his shoulder hoping he wouldn't respond.

"Hmmm?" He grunted, tightening his grip around her. She was disappointed that he was waking up after all.

"It's after 5:30. You slept through the alarms."