I'm wearing a dark-blue, boat neck, a-line dress for tonight because, in my book, it's not fun to swing dance if your skirt doesn't flair out a bit when you twirl. I'm so excited to go out dancing with a guy I know is nice and not a complete creep... but something is still niggling at me.

No. I know what you're thinking—but it's not just about Gio. It's like... I'm afraid to encourage Bryce too much. He's cute and funny and kind. Lots of girls probably have been after this guy. But the office gossip has already started to get around.  Would I still be able to be professional with each other if things got serious? 

And remember... this is just like how you got involved with Alex.

I met Alex at my first internship. He was twenty-six, and I was twenty-two and finishing up my degree. He was also in marketing and such a sweet talker. He knew just how to market... himself. I guess my heart is a bit wary of guys in that particular profession now.

As I continue to stare at my reflection, my head and heart are clearly at war with each other. My head says my heart's feelings for Gio are clearly in the way of moving on. I mean, Gio made it clear he's not interested, and I've got a great guy in front of me who IS.

But... my heart just crosses its arms with a steely glare to my head—unbending. And that's just the way I'm looking at myself in the mirror when—ding-dong. The sound doorbell breaks me from my reprieve.

"I'll get it!" I hear my mom yell from the kitchen. Crap!

I rush to put my earrings in as I hear my mom talking from downstairs.

"Hello, you must be Bryce."

Ah! He's meeting my mom. No, no, not yet!

"Yes, you must be Lauren's mother. Very nice to meet you."

Crap, crap. I grab my shoes and rush out of my bedroom. At the top of the stairs, I see him talking more with my mom, and he looks amazing in dark wash jeans and a teal button-up long-sleeve shirt—unbuttoned once at the top with cuffed-up sleeves and a thin black leather belt that looks expensive to polish it off.

Ungracefully, I race down the stairs with my heels in my hand into the entry where they are standing. I struggle to put them on quickly, hoping awkwardly around on the cold tile floor on one foot as I attempt to keep my balance.

"Bryce. Hi. You're early," I say, trying not to sound irritated as I stand and smooth down my full skirt.

"Yeah, I'm sorry. I didn't realize you were so close. It's, like, only a five-minute drive from my place. Shall we go?"

"Yes."

"I'll be back later," I call back to my mom, and I can tell by her expression she looks pretty pleased with Bryce so far. My eyes close—already anticipating the topic of conversation over dinner tomorrow.

I let myself into Bryce's red Mini Cooper, and we take off on our long-anticipated first date. He turns up the radio a little bit before we take off, and the Black-Eyed Peas - I've Got a Feeling is the first song that comes on. It's been a little overplayed, but the song's vibe in his fun little car is fitting, and I can't help but bop a little bit to the beat, my irritation melting away.

Soon, we pull into a parking space downtown along Main Street. I get out, and he takes my arm, and we walk down the tree-lined sidewalk till he stops in front of a stucco dark green storefront with tinted windows and a bud light sign— so far, I'm not impressed.

Really? This bar?!

"Remember this place?" he asks me, but I shake my head. "Used to be the old furniture store in the 90s. It's a lousy bar, but it's got a big dance floor in the back."