3. Back Under His Spell

Ren

TWO-WEEKS LATER

I take a slow sip of my coffee, gripping the smooth ceramic mug to draw as much heat as possible into my hands. This is my latest attempt to warm up in my new office, which always seems cold.

It's the end of a long but exciting week at my new job at Viibe Marketing as the only graphic/designer illustrator at the most reputable marketing company in this city. It's actually very small.

Well, small compared to the ginormous marketing company I worked for in New York, with three-thousand employees nationwide. Viibe is so proud to be on the top floor of the tallest building downtown, which has five stories in total. I used to work on the twenty-first.  I'd rather have found a job in San Francisco, but finding any job this year has been tough after the financial crisis. I guess beggars can't be choosers.

I suddenly hear the fast-paced clicking of heels on our grey vinyl tile. My stomach drops out as a fresh wave of adrenaline takes me. My Aussie manager, Cheryl, appears from around the corner. Her black bob haircut is a bit unruly on one side, and more lipstick is on the mug she's holding than on her mouth.

"Lauren, forget about the winery job. I need you to jump on something right away for Best Life," she tells me, frazzled. "Change all the backgrounds from 628 to 629, put the girl back in, and move the typeface back up to the top. We need the font to be bigger and have more punch. The clients want more 'wow' factor. Got it?"

"Yes. Okay." Quickly I grab a pen and jot down the information.

She blows out a long sigh. "Sorry to keep dumping more things on you today, but this client keeps changing their bloody mind. We need this done by the end of the day for sign-off, allriiight?"

"No problem," I respond in my most positive and upbeat voice.

"Ta," she says and briskly walks away.

I immediately close down the job I had open on my screen, pull up the Best Life ad I was working on yesterday, and get to work. Once Cheryl is out of earshot, I heave a frustrated sigh. Crap. Forty frantic minutes later, I prepare an email, attach the completed changes, and press send with a satisfying click. 

Hopefully, she's happy with that... but I better get out of here before she comes back.

"Hey, Lauren." I hear from across my desk. I look up, midway through packing my things.

It's Bryce, the very nice but very eager-to-make-friends co-worker in Brand Management. His autumn-colored auburn hair, sky-blue eyes, and smile could easily make most girls go crazy.

I had tried to resist his charming demeanor so far. I had a thing about dating co-workers. But he was good at cracking subtle jokes, and his flirty smile had made me crack my own a few times beyond my control not to.

"How'd your second week go? Not too crazy, I hope," he says, smiling his dazzling smile.

"It was great. Still learning about the projects and their clients and such, but I think I'll really like it here," I say sincerely, holding his gaze for a second.

He leans against my desk while fanning out my Pantone color deck. "Well, it's great having you around," he hums. 

A light blush dusts my cheeks. "Thank you. Glad to help out." My eyes flash toward Cheryl's office, remembering my earlier urgency, and abruptly stand, grabbing my bag and jacket. "I actually need to run." 

"I'm just leaving too. I'll go with you."

Great.

He presses the down button for me. "So, you got any exciting weekend plans?"