Chapter XXIX - FORGIVENESS | ESCAPE

Depuis le début

"How's that?" he said proudly. "Amazing. Now, what's only left is to get up there and escape," you replied.

Hell yeah. Still. Where's Gray...?

"Then what're we waiting for?! Let's move it!" Zack said, enthusiastically, a smile present on his face.

You sighed, running up ahead, Zack picking up Rachel as he followed you. "I can walk," Rachel murmured. "Shut up, zombie," Zack replied.

You abruptly stopped, as you saw iron bars blocking the exit. "Well shit, just great!" you spat. Zack was confused until he reached you. "Oh. Fan-fucking-tastic," he groaned, as he dropped Rachel, gripping his scythe.

Rachel sighed, standing up, and taking out a lighter. Zack saw the item, falling down, but it only got worse when you felt the ground shake, the room filling up with fire.

Zack seemed almost paralyzed, looking at the flames. You told Rachel to keep on melting the iron bars until you got Zack back up on his feet.

You rushed to him, a concerned look on your face as you saw him rapidly breathing.

Zack... Is he okay? ...What would fire do to him..? Is fire somehow related to his trauma? I should help him!

"Zack, Zack!" you said, taking him by the shoulders, as you neared his face. "I need you to listen to me. I don't know how fire triggers you, but we'll talk it out once we're outside, okay? Rachel's doing her best to melt down the bars, alright?" you said.

Zack kept on breathing rapidly, and you sighed. "I need you to get things together, okay..?"
Please...

Zack only shuddered, gritting his teeth, as he pulled you down by your collar, pulling you into a hug.

Huh....?

It took you a few minutes to realize that Zack actually was doing this in his supposed moment of panic. Is this how he planned to calm himself down or something..?

He's.... hugging me?..

A few seconds later, you let go, Zack's breathing having slowed down to a more normal pace. "So worried about me, huh?" he said, staggering as he stood up. "Quit worrying, will you?"

You could only stare in surprise, unable to form a coherent statement. Zack laughed, his eyes staring deeply into yours.

His lips curved into a smirk, as he gripped his scythe, his arms still shaking. You were left without words. Wasn't he the one struggling not long ago...?

"Let's get this shit over and done with," Zack said, breaths ragged and heavy as he stood up.

Rachel finished working with the lighter, apparently having ignored the whole ordeal that had happened between you and Zack.

You walked, a bit lightheaded, towards Rachel, holding onto her arm. "Are you okay?" she murmured.

"Y...yeah, I am," you whispered, sighing heavily, your face slightly red but hidden by the fire's blaze before you.

Zack then yelled as he slashed through the iron bars, all of them falling to pieces. You looked ahead, and you motioned Rachel to keep moving.

Zack simply carried her again, since he knew Rachel wouldn't run fast enough to avoid the boulders falling.

The two of you then ran up, Zack slashing through every boulder in your way.

His scythe will break at this rate...

Upon encountering the last boulder, Zack took one look at you and then slashed the large, amounted rock, the head of his scythe torn off.

"There goes," Zack murmured, as he dropped his weapon, feeling much lighter, as he kept running, you following behind.

You then entered a final room, the space wide. "We're almost there..." you whispered. Trudging forward, you felt something sharp run right through your arm, tearing a wound.

You muffled a scream, and Zack instantly turned around, dropping Rachel as he rushed to you. You looked above, and saw Gray, with his usual stone-cold glare drilling daggers into your soul.

You coughed up blood as you held your shoulder tight, tears brimming in the corners of your eyes.
Why does this happen now of all times? We were so close...!

"You brought death everywhere you went. It's time you die before you leave," he said. Zack was seething with rage. His eyes were full of panic, fear, and rage all mixed up.

He picked you up and ran out of the room, carrying you in his arms, as held you close to him, crystalline tears streaming down your face.

Rachel followed behind, her dull expression still not fading.
"Don't die, don't die, don't die, don't die, don't fucking die, damn it...!" Zack muttered, opening the door, as he finally walked outside.

His eyes widened, as he saw the dark sky above. It was beautiful, but...now wasn't the time to observe the millions of stars above you. Not when you were bleeding. 

"Hey...we're outside, Y/N...wake up," Zack said, clearly nervous.

"Wake up, N/N," he murmured. "Please..."

Your body was limp, your heartbeat still going. "Y/N, please! Wake up, I'm begging you! What about getting out alive together?!" Zack said, hugging you tight.

"...Don't die on me just yet, please...! You promised!" he whispered. Soon enough, sirens of police cars reached his range, but he knew he couldn't run.

"Hands up, Isaac Foster," one of the officers stated, raising his gun, as he got off the car. "Leave the two hostages alone. Put the woman down slowly and get on your knees with your arms behind your head."

"I have one damn request first," Zack said, hands and voice shaking, as he held you close to his chest. "Speak," the man replied.

 "Keep these two safe, but, especially this one, with the [h/c] hair. Bring her to a hospital, please. Make sure she turns out okay," Zack said. "Do what you will to me, but don't harm these two."

"...An odd request for a serial killer, but very well. I'll ensure their safety. Now, stay down, and let the woman off your grasp," the officer said.

Hesitantly, Zack placed you down gently, narrowing his eyes at your bleeding form. Don't die...please...

Tears threatened to leave his eyes, but he forbid himself to. He shook his head, looking at you one last time, a melancholic smile resting on his lips.

Rachel stood beside him, a dull look on her face. Zack then sighed, walking down the stairs and kneeling, his arms behind his head as told. 

Soon enough, the rest of the armed police arrived to assist, taking you and Rachel away, and arresting Zack not long afterward.

He was only glad you were safe, and for that alone, he had some hope, even if it wasn't much. Tears pricked at the corners of his eyes as he fell asleep on the ride to prison, his heart bearing a pain far more than he'd ever felt.

I'll be back for you, Y/N. I promise you that.

This won't be the end.