Chapter 20 - The Hospital

Start from the beginning

"I'm not here because of Pete."

"Then what other reason do you have for being here? Actually, don't tell me. I just want to go h-"

"Your mother's been in this hospital for a few hours now!"

Ethan's blank expression faded when his eyes widened and his tone was filled with concern. "Why? What happened?"

"You did this to her."

"Me?"

Just when she was about to go on a rant, he held onto her shoulders and demanded to see his mother right away.

She scoffed. "Now you care about her?"

"I never stopped caring. Take me to her!"

Since he was that close, she looked around at his shirt and furrowed her eyebrows as she asked what had happened to him but he exhaled deeply to keep his composure.

"Why are you still asking stupid questions when I told you to take me to my mother?"

"You're being such a d-"

"Take me to her," he said in a low but aggressive tone with wide eyes as he held onto her wrist with a glare.

Not wanting to get yelled at again, she nodded rapidly and led the way.

~

Ms Hudson was in a private room and was sedated.

When Ethan walked in first and saw his mother's state, his eyes softened before he was even close enough and he stopped in his tracks, overwhelmed with guilt.

Natalie stood behind him and spoke near his ear. "You did this to her. You put her in this situation."

"Shut up," he said quietly as he looked over his shoulder, then approached the bed. "Mom....." he said softly.

"You're the reason she's here," Natalie whispered.

"I said shut up," he said a little louder this time, then sighed before he spoke to his mother. "I'm sorry about all this. I didn't mean for this to happen."

"But it did," Natalie whispered. "You gave your own your mother a heart attack just because you t-"

"Just shut up!" he said with annoyance, then started to push her out of the room. When she resisted, he held onto her wrist and dragged her out since he wished to speak to his mother in peace.

When Natalie was in the corridor, he loosened his grip and pointed at the floor as he ordered her to stay right there and not show up anywhere near his mother for as long as he was with her.

He then returned to his mother and quietly shut the door. He turned around to look at her from that distance and his heart broke.

He approached the bed again and pulled the chair closer so he could sit. He then held onto her hand and gently brushed his thumb along the palm of her hand.

"This was the last thing I expected," he said, his voice shaky from guilt. "Please forgive me for all this."

~

A few minutes later, Natalie was still in the corridor with her arms crossed and constantly tapped her foot with pursed lips as she thought about how Ethan had treated her even during a time when they needed to be closer than ever to look after Ms Hudson.

As she thought about how mean he was to her, Pete's aunt approached her and mentioned that she had seen Ethan enter a room and hoped he was still inside. When Natalie confirmed that he was, Pete's aunt demanded to speak to him and seemed furious.