Chapter 3 - Getting to Know Each Other

-----

"Luffy, it's morning!" Marco came to the room that was an old storage room once, but they cleaned it just for Luffy, laying sheets in some big box so Luffy would sleep there. The little angel nuzzled into the cover, munching some words. Marco cooed at that. He sat on the ground beside the box, looking at the boy. His one wing was still covered in bandages. 

Marco reached unconsciously with his hand to pat Luffy's arm and then trail to his shoulder. His normal bored look was replaced with an open mouth and watery eyes. Marco felt a weird bond, connecting him and the child, maybe it was his devil fruit acting, but it was...just something more akin to human feelings. He observed Luffy's moves as he slowly opened his eyes, rubbing them with his fist. Marco smiled and leaned closer.

"Good morning." He whispered and Luffy's eyes lit and he sat up, hugging Marco's neck. "Hm?" The man was confused and he held his hands in the air for a while but then he hugged the little angel back, looking out to not touch his wings. Luffy was nuzzling into his neck. Then they heard a growl. Luffy looked at his stomach and then back at Marco. The latter only chuckled. "You're hungry?" He patted Luffy's head.

"Yes..." Luffy yawed. Marco stood up and opened a bag that Izou placed there at night. There were some little clothes from Haruta that the man sewed to be more fitting for the child. He took out a shirt and some pants as well as socks. He turned to the boy that was looking around the room. He crouched near the box and carefully lifted Luffy's arms, taking off the shirt he was sleeping in. Taking the fresh shirt, Marco instructed and asked if this hurts or if it is laying on him well. He carefully took the little wings in his one hand and put them through the head hole in the shirt so they were at the surface of the shirt.

"Uff..." Marco sighed when he was done with the shirt. Luffy was very fragile and sensitive near his wings and Marco needed special measures to not hurt the little angel. He helped Luffy change his pants and when they were done, Marco placed shoes on Luffy's feet. They were already damaged so he wanted for Luffy to wear closed boots, but Izou told him Luffy would feel too uncomfortable and hot in big boots so he went with some sandals, but he still told Luffy to wear socks.

"Let's go." He reached for Luffy's hand and this time the boy took it almost immediately, which made Marco smile. They went through some halls, meeting members of the crew on the way who only waved to Luffy and saluted to Marco. Some laughed and snickered at the birdman, calling him Mother Hen but in that moment...Marco didn't mind that, he actually felt like a mother helping her chicks wash or something.

They entered the Mess Hall and were greeted by the commanders at their own desk. Thatch was of course in the kitchen along with some chefs. Whitebeard was sitting with his sons in the middle, drinking, but also eating some breakfast. Luffy smiled while holding onto Marco's hand tightly. He looked at some men eating and his mouth drolled. The two stopped in front of the table and Marco helped Luffy climb the chair, a pillow was placed there earlier by Haruta. Luffy sat and looked at Marco, the phoenix who was turned to Pops looked back at him.

"I'm going to sit on the other side." Marco smiled with frowned brows when Luffy whined.

"Look, Luffy!" Jozu exclaimed and it grabbed the child's attention. The diamond man had sticks in his nose drills and his mouth, making a weird face. Luffy stared blankly at him and then laughed loudly, hand on his mouth trying to sustain the laugh. Some of the men saw it and frowned. Haruta grabbed Luffy's hands on his mouth and smiled. Luffy blinked but then saw Jozu behind the little man and his face trembled and he laughed again. Marco observed them from his seat near Whitebeard, drinking some coffee, he of course needed.

"You seem to be closer with Luffy the more you spend time with him." Pops smiled and drank some booze. Marco coughed into his coffee. He looked with his one eye at the child, a smile daring to appear and he let it. Marco placed his chin in his palm, looking at Luffy.