First Name Basis

Days kept passing as her first year at Hogwarts progressed and Emma didn't realize when Halloween came and went and soon found herself waiting impatiently for Christmas. Sure she loved being at Hogwarts but she'd also missed her family terribly, not that she would ever admit it of course. She was looking forward to meeting her mum, dad, Ron, Ginny, and Bill who had promised to return home for Christmas.

Apart from classes and the mounds of homework, they were being given by the teachers regardless of Christmas approaching, the quintet found themselves extremely occupied with the strange parchment that Emma, Fred, and Lee had found in Filch's office. For now, they were calling it the Marauders' parchment. The reason for this strange name was that, after reading so many statements by Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs they'd managed to correctly conclude that these four called themselves the Marauders

The mystery behind this Marauders' parchment was so enticing that even Katie forgot about it supposedly being 'highly dangerous' and devoted herself completely to solving this puzzle. One more thing they'd discovered was that the Marauders didn't give polite comments to all the users. Once, Katie had touched the sheet with her wand and the comments aimed at her were anything but polite. They'd been written in a diplomatic manner, which was what impressed Emma the most. Katie had, of course, felt embarrassed, while Lee, Fred, and George had rolled on the floor with laughter.

They'd further experimented with this by having George and Lee try it with their wands and they were given fairly nice and encouraging words by the four Marauders. To conclude their hypothesis they'd also had Percy, Angelina, and Charlie try it. They didn't let them read anything, of course. Angelina and Charlie had been given mildly rude comments while Percy's were even funnier and meaner than Katie's.

This had given evidence to the quintet to believe that Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs insulted people who were strict rule abiders, couldn't take a joke to save their lives, and didn't like pranking.

They'd had a good laugh reading the comments.

Katie spent a lot of her time in the Library and for the rest four's immense displeasure dragged them with her too. She wanted to research as much as she could to find anything at all that would help them to unravel this mystery. She searched for any people in history named Marauders or Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs even though it was very unlikely that they would be in any of the history books. But it never hurts to check!

Emma's classes were going on fine and apart from the numerous amount of work that kept piling on her desk, she would say that she was fairly enjoying some of her classes. Potions would have been her favorite subject completely, had it not been for the second-year girls troubling her and shooting her snide remarks now and then. She had managed to dodge them cornering her till now, but she didn't know how long she would be able to. She also noticed that most of the time they were mean to her, was in Cedric's absence. She wasn't able to understand their jealousy at all. It made no sense. She was a first year. She was merely forced into being partnered with Cedric, not even willingly.

And she certainly had no interest whatsoever in him, and she was certain he didn't either.

She wasn't able to stand the nonsense of the girls at all, and of late she often found her mind in conflict on whether to request Snape to change partners and end the whole tutoring thing, purely to get rid of the spiteful girls. But she stopped herself because as much as she hated to admit it, Cedric was a good teacher, really good in fact.

Speaking of Cedric, Emma seriously was having trouble with what to think of him. He was so damn kind to her, and she never understood why he would bother to give her time of day after being on the receiving end of her rude remarks (that too for no real reason) since the first time they met. She found herself reflecting on why she hated him in the first place.