23 - A Goodbye Kiss

It was raining when Tonowari showed up at Sabrina's doorstep.

As the Olo'eyktan, it could be supposed that he would have a direct correspondence with Sabrina Spellman — after all, she was the suspicious sky person. Regardless, from the beginning, the Tsahìk got ahold of the human girl, and being a great husband, Tonowari allowed Ronal her ways.

They had talked, of course, but purely when it was necessary.

That was one of those days.

Sabrina opened her doors after placing her exopack on her face, knowing that Tonowari would say whatever he needed without getting in. The Awa'atlu were a friendly clan in general to Sabrina and her human items, but they still rathered stay away from her scientific marui.

The rain poured down and soaked the tall man's loose hair, leaving it looking thicker and darker. The thin braids guided the hair strands back with a half-bun. His chief's robes didn't look special for a particular occasion — which relieved Sabrina: she thought she'd forgotten some important date.

The previous night had been the night of songs, some even sung by Tonowari's daughter. Sabrina stayed until the end of the ceremony and listened to all the songs willingly. Only some of the lyrics were pretty, but the singers were spectacular.

Not even Jake Sully's lecture could ruin that night.

When it was over, Neteyam brought her to her marui, and he held her hand like it was the most precious thing in the world. Sabrina had never felt so wanted as she did when Neteyam kissed her on the top of the head, wishing her goodnight.

Her lover was gone right after it, but a few minutes before sunrise, he had barged into Sabrina's cabin, and with the lightest of touches, he brushed her hair, all matted from heavy sleep, from her face. Even though the contact was soft, Sabrina woke up startled because she was having a nightmare.

It was becoming increasingly frequent for her to dream about Spider Socorro. He invaded the subconscious softly, without her being scared at first. The dream always started well before turning into a nightmare.

That night, everything got frightening as the tulkuns took over the scene alongside Spider, with flashes of death and blood in the sea.

Neteyam's presence upon awakening from a nightmare was like a cup of hot tea on a cold day. She smiled with her eyes and made room in her hammock so he could lie down next to her and cuddle in the remaining minutes they had left.

However, that morning was rainy, and the two got too comfortable — they ended up missing the time to get up.

When Tonowari knocked on Sabrina's door, she had dozens of reasons to fear him and not open the door. Moreover, she had reason not to invite him inside since Neteyam was still there.

"Kaltxì, Sabrina," Tonowari said, gulping and nodding as he lowered his head to face the girl.

Sabrina noticed she was still sleepy when it took her a whole minute to translate "hello". Neteyam was turning her into a spoiled human.

"Hello, Olo'eyktan," she replied, bowing. She didn't ought to — it wasn't a tradition of the Na'vi — but she went for it needlessly. "What can I do for you today?"

Sabrina had looked at the clock near her computer before stepping out of her marui, and it was close to noon, so whatever Tonowari needed, it was probably something that had just happened.

She had to lean her head up so much that it stopped hurting after a while, but she noticed that looking at Tonowari that day wasn't so difficult. He seemed to be shorter, as if his shoulders stood ducked. There was definitely something in his expression.