03 - A Night of Songs

The night had barely started, but Sabrina was already ready. She had showered longer than needed and took exceptional care of her hair, allowing it to dry carefully to get straight. Sabrina would've taken her time picking clothes, but she remembered that the Na'vi did not really care for what she wore — anything would be too human to be accepted.

Therefore, she got the loose white dress that clung to her body just enough until her waist, and then it cascaded beautifully. It was a relatively simple dress; based on her earthling data, it was made with a formless cloth. But she liked how she looked and decided that was it.

Her father, Norm, had dressed up too. However, his avatar body didn't have many clothing options — he wore shorts to knee length but was shirtless except for a piece of Omaticaya's wardrobe that Sabrina had no idea of what was called or how her father got a hold of it.

"You look... native," she said, grabbing plates and forks and gathering them in a small handbag. They tried to blend in with the clan, but some things Sabrina, Max and Norm could not shake off.

Her father managed just fine without the silverware, but Max couldn't pretend to be happy without it. Since they generally dined together, carrying plates around was rare, but that night was special.

Every so often, the Omaticaya clan had "parties" — celebrations regarding significant events and religious stuff, all very dear to them but kinda pointless to Sabrina. But she enjoyed being a part of it, for she liked their music and dances.

"Let's go!" her father said enthusiastically, grabbing the bag from her hand and carrying it with no trouble as he walked out of the lab.

Max Patel was the last to leave, for besides the trio, the other scientists invited were already out. Not all of them got an invite; for that, the light of the lab/home was kept on.

The small group arrived at the heart of the clan, the three of them a bit shy about it, but soon Jake Sully noticed his long-time friend and gestured for them to sit down. Her father was instantly at ease, but Dr Patel only relaxed when his plate was full of human-safe food and Mo'ak asked about his research. Jake's mother-in-law wasn't exactly a pleasure to have; however, Max being questioned about science was a thing he liked very much.

Sabrina ate silently, watching the Sullys' offspring sitting in front of her. They were separated by fire ever so burning, for it was the natives' tradition not to let it die.

She wanted to get up and sit next to them, but she felt unsure about doing it. Lo'ak and Spider were the last of her friends to show up; however, only Spider sat next to her; Lo'ak went straight to his siblings.

"Where were you?" she asked her friend, biting the last part of her meat.

Spider was setting up his share of food, but he was very into doing so in the natives' ways, so he had a leaf as a plate.

"Lo'ak was showing me his ikran," he answered. "You know Jake doesn't like me near the animals, so it was a good opportunity."

"I don't like it either," she said, "they are dangerous, especially to us."

Miles shrugged.

"Lo'ak's ikran wasn't bothered."

Sabrina sighed, knowing that was a discussion she would never win. So instead, she shifted her tone.

"So, what is it like?"

"Mighty," he answered, and his eyes sparkled. Then, he faced Sabrina, and she noticed how impressed the boy was with the magnificently Pandoran animals. "It is so big and strong but so smart, though! Like, it understands Lo'ak's wishes; it is brilliant."