17 - Strong Heart

Although they didn't settle on anything, Sabrina and Neteyam promised themselves to keep the previous night a secret. However, the task was manageable because they were awakened by hoots the following day, which would be fair to presume everybody was having their worries and wouldn't pay attention to the two.

Neteyam had already got up and put away his bed, but his siblings were lazier and, that day, more anxious to get out of there. He managed to force Lo'ak to tidy up the family place, but Tuk got out before the older brother could hold her. So Neteyam let Lo'ak go when he finished and did Tuk's work himself, folding her blanket and bed (which was nothing more than a stretched-out hammock).

Neytiri and Jake had been awake for some time before the commotion, so they quickly went out to see what it was. Kiri didn't look too good—something Neteyam would have to look into, but that would be later, for, confessing to himself, he was eager to see the fuss.

Sabrina left her room with her mask and a skimpy outfit made of the same materials as bikinis, but they were in the mould of short leggings and a shirt. It wasn't her favourite outfit due to the fabric, but it was a nice green colour.

Once outside and faced with a burst of brighter sunshine than the previous days, Sabrina sighed heavily, knowing that she was looking forward to a day that would be cheerful and joyful — even if she didn't have even an ounce of joy in her.

Everyone at the Awa'atlu village was jumping in the water, and the commotion was exciting. They were happy as if they were seeing family members — just then, Sabrina heard the term "tulkun". It felt like something she should know about — had she heard whispers? — but since she couldn't be sure, she stepped near the floor sheets, to its edge, to take a better look at the sea.

"Look, Kiri! Look!" Even though Sabrina was away from them, she turned her neck to see Tuktirey dragging Kiri out of their home pod.

Tuk noticed Sabrina and shook her hand frenetically, but Kiri was mesmerised by what she saw. Fascinated by Kiri's reaction, Sabrina followed her sight and witnessed the animals swimming around the waves, making a party out of the reunion. Tulkuns.

Whale-shaped animals, but way more extensive than Sabrina could have imagined. 

"Wow," Sabrina gasped, calculating that most of the tulkuns were over fifty meters long. And those are the ones I can see, she added in her thoughts, noticing as she got closer that the deep sea hid many others.

"Let's go meet them," Tuktirey said to her sister, bringing her closer to where Sabrina was standing. "Hey, Sabrina! Come with us."

Sabrina bit her lip. "Oh, well, I wasn't planning..."

The human girl had no problem whatsoever with the salty water. Thanks to the Omaticaya scientists, she knew it was safer than the forest pound's water. Besides, she now was living amongst the reef people — sooner or later, she would have to jump.

"Come on," Kiri said neutrally.

Sabrina breathed deeply.

"Ok," she agreed, stretching her legs to get in slowly.

However, the forest girls didn't wait on Sabrina — Tuktirey dived as a pro, and Kiri leapt right in behind her to ensure her little sister was ok. Left behind, the sisters forced Sabrina to watch as they swam farther away.

"You gotta be kidding me," Sabrina muttered under her puff.

Up in an ilu, Aonung came closer to the edge of the sheet Sabrina was sitting on, with her feet dangling.

"Jump on, Sabrina," he instructed, tilting his head, "I'll take you to see the tulkuns."

Sabrina narrowed one eyebrow, suspicious.