20 - Shameless

The rain fell on Neteyam, icy but soft, which, although it made him shiver with cold, would not kill him because it took so long to soak him.

When Tonowari went to Jake Sully to tell him about the avatars raiding other reef islands, Neteyam listened from behind the curtains, for the matter was as much in the father's interests as the son's. After all, both were the family's warriors and were supposed to protect it. However, Neteyam wasn't foreseeing Tonowari's final revelation: the RDA avatars stood accompanied by a human boy, fluent in Na'vi.

"It looks like he was apologising to the people," explained Tonowari.

Neteyam gulped, safe behind the scenes to get whatever reaction he wanted. There was no doubt about the human boy's identity; what remained now was whether they would let the news circulate.

Tonowari assured Jake that he wouldn't let anyone reveal the location of Toruk Makto's family but that if things got too tight, they would have to take other measures.

When Jake returned inside, Neteyam had yielded to his place at his mother's side, but he was still standing, waiting for his father's orders.

Jake Sully told Neytiri about the attack on the reef people but did not mention Spider's presence, which Neteyam considered a wise choice. Nevertheless, the boy stayed on his feet because even if his mother wouldn't know about Spider, maybe another female should.

Jake Sully consented to his son's departure with a slight nod.

Though Jake and Neteyam disagreed frequently, Neteyam never raised his voice to his father, and he didn't intend to do it. Above all, it was something Jake liked about the older son — the mood gave him a false sense of security, making Jake proud of his upbringing. In return, the once-human Na'vi allowed Neteyam to approach Sabrina Spellman without complaint.

It wasn't like Jake could do anything to keep them apart at that point, nor did he want to face Norm Spellman's wrath if something hurt his little daughter.

It wasn't an exciting walk, but Neteyam couldn't help but feel stoked to see Sabrina again. Unfortunately, after the night of feasting for the tulkuns, the two had not yet seen each other.

Neteyam charged Sabrina with jealousy, but he did so out of humour on the whole thing, not anger. However, before he got a little closer, as they talked, swimming around the enormous sea animals, Ronal materialised, calling for the human.

The Tsahìk's idea was that all tulkuns should become familiar with Sabrina — the woman justified that the human would be safe if she found herself lost and alone at sea. However, Neteyam made a disbelieving sound by clicking his tongue on the roof of his mouth — he would never leave Sabrina alone at sea; it was Ronal's folly to think that one day that would happen.

Whatever it was, that night, the friends had no more privacy, and the next day, Lo'ak and Neteyam had dozens of duties to perform as members of the sea folk. Besides, Sabrina had her chores too; Ronal used the human as a doll, and the two walked through the village — to Sabrina, it looked like a parade of reenactments; for the Tsahìk, it was all about exemplifying the reef culture.

The drizzle covering him wasn't enough to discourage him, but the way Neteyam found Sabrina — all smiles with Aonung in the sea — was. The two then ran off, teasing each other, which made all the pleasure to see her die in Neteyam's eyes.

His arms crossed before he got control of himself, and staying at the beach, the forest boy watched the interaction until Sabrina ran to him.

She looked surprised when her gaze found him but quickly changed her expression to concern. Neteyam wasn't in the habit of looking angry —just serious — so he scared her.