18 - Being Human

The arrival of the tulkuns after months away was the event of the reef village.

If Neteyam had thought the wedding party had been a big thing, he was in for a surprise — the Metkayina were about to waste no second without celebrating the return of their dearest friends.

Matter-of-factly, Neteyam ended up liking the energy of the people around him. It reminded him of his home village, which had many festivities for the ikrans and other animals besides the usual beautiful rituals. Moreover, it made him think of his grandma, who he also missed.

When Kiri crossed his path, wearing a red strings top and a loincloth of the same palette of colours, Neteyam smiled, seeing Mo'at in his sister's ways.

"Where are we going?" he asked, stepping to her side.

Kiri was shorter than him, but her petulance made it appear they were the same height.

"Mom wants me to help Tuk," Kiri explained. "Girl stuff."

Neteyam pressed his lips together and nodded.

"You know, you should get ready too," Kiri said, "for the party."

Neteyam frowned.

"I am ready," he said in a defensive tone.

Kiri's eyes widened, and she held in a chuckle.

"Ok then."

"What's wrong with what I'm wearing?" Neteyam asked, trying to understand his sister's point.

He always thought the Na'vi dressed pretty much the same — the females had tops more elaborated, of course, but as for the loincloth, it all seemed the same. Besides, changing clothes and looking different was a human thing. Sabrina was an example of someone that cared for altering outfits for distinct occasions — and he agreed she should do it. After all, she needed to protect her sensitive skin and other body parts.

As for him, Neteyam didn't feel like he needed to dress up.

"Look," Kiri sighed, stopping to face her brother, "try putting some paint on, like the boys are doing. Or — I don't know — at least don't wear the same thing you were wearing this morning."

"Isn't this all a bit vain?"

Kiri shrugged.

"It's the one night a year we have the right to."

Sometimes Neteyam hated how wise his sister was.

Therefore, following Kiri's suggestion, Neteyam returned to his marui to pick something else to wear. Unfortunately, he didn't have many loincloths to choose from — mainly because since their arrival and acceptance in the new clan, Jake and Neytiri suggested the kids lose the clothes that were too much Omaticaya and not enough Metkayina.

Lo'ak caught his older brother in a mess of fabric and laughed at the scene, given that there were few opportunities for Lo'ak to find Neteyam so lost.

His laugh, however, made Neteyam look up, forgetting all about the box in front of him with his stuff.

"What the fuck did they do to you?" Neteyam asked, laughing as well, but for different reasons.

Lo'ak went serious.

"What do you mean?" the younger one asked at bay.

"You look like that human Norm Spellman likes," Neteyam said between chuckles, having trouble remembering the name, "the dead painter. Picasso something."

If Lo'ak had felt pissed with the laugh, he got mad with the comparison.

"Shut up, skxawng!"

"No, but it's true!" Neteyam articulated, getting up before being hit by his little brother. "Got too excited with the pigment?" he chuckled again.