Breaching the 'boss deal'

Anya's phone buzzed early that morning, and without checking she knew that it was from Alice. She squinted at the message.

Can you come to the dorm? It's too cold and I'm lazy to go outside. Anya couldn't agree more, the weather was disgustingly cold and she couldn't wait for at least a few warm, sunny hours of the day. She had decided to walk instead of getting into the bus, since the traffic was painfully slow. Some twenty five minutes later she knocked on Alice's dorm room. As soon as she opened them, she threw her arms around her sister's neck and then pulled her inside, closing the door.

"I've missed you."

"I've missed you too, honey. This place is so warm."

"Yes, that's why I didn't want to leave it today."

"I can't blame you."

Alice finally let go of her sister and looked at her for an intense moment.

"You look different."

"Different how?"

"I don't know...you're glowing."

"I'm not pregnant, if that's what you think."

"Which is a shame but no...I didn't think that."

"It's not that I don't want to, but I'm in no rush, trust me."

"Ok. So what is going on? You look content."

"I am."

"Does it have to do something with your boss?"

"Yes, it does."

"Tell me all about it."

Anya sat close to the edge of the bed and crossed her legs. Alice pulled up the pillow and leaned on it, expectantly looking at her.

"Well, you know that Dominic drove me home from the hospital?"

"Yes."

"He also spent the night."

"When you say spent the night you mean...," Alice looked at her with an odd mixture of emotions.

"In my bed, next to me with his pajamas on."

"Oh. Like that."

"You don't look excited."

"No, no, I am it's just that...when will you two have sex already? I don't get it? You're both so into each other. What is stopping you?"

"He's my boss, sweetie."

"So?"

"What do you mean, so? Let's say that we do it. I admit, I am so close to breaking all my rules when it comes to relationships. However, the office will find out if anything happens. These things can't be kept hidden for such a long time. It changes the relationship. How am I going to look him in the eyes after having sex with him the night before? It' s impossible."

"I'm pretty sure that he can fire anyone who will try to cause trouble. He's the boss for a reason, you know. And he might even help you get another job."

"Ok, sweetie, I love your enthusiasm, I really do. But all these things aside, tell me why is that so important to you, for us to be together?"

"Because you two are like two perfect pieces of a puzzle."

"Do you really think that?"

"Anya, I'm going to start pulling my hair out any minute now! Yes! That's what I've been trying to tell you all this time! You need someone to make you happy, and he is wearing his heart on his sleeve and ready to give it to you. So what is the problem?"