We need to talk!

Kayla leaned on the window pane and closed her eyes, smiling. It was rush-hour. The streets were crowded, and the cars were moving slowly. People were going home to their families, and she didn't envy them at all. She wasn't going home; at least not when loyal, dear wives usually did, to make lunch for their families and to talk to their husbands about their day. She was different. She was the kind of woman who put herself and her needs first. Then a man came behind her back and started nibbling her earlobe.  

"Can you stay a while longer?"

Kayla's eyes flew open, and only for a moment she thought of Dominic and his facial expression, standing in an empty apartment. She knew that he'd probably be angry at her in the morning, but then she realized that it doesn't matter at all. Well, not to her, anyway. She smiled and turned around.  

"Of course I can, dear. We have all the time we want!" 

"That is so good to know. So what are we waiting for?"

He playfully dragged her to the bed. 

"Tony..."

"Oh, come on. Surely you can leave your husband alone for a few hours."

Of course, she could. In fact, she did it almost every day, and not once did he even try to talk to her about it. She couldn't be sure, but she thought he was taking that ok. She was always careful not to have the scent of another man when she'd come home at night, almost sneaking like a thief. In the mornings, when she was at home, he would kiss her cheek and wish her a good day, never uttering a word of protest.

"Yeah, you're right. He'll be fine on his own."

"Tell me again, why are you with him anyway?"

She sighed.

"Because he's a good provider. I feel safe with him."

"But you're never home when he's around. You go out and about, you ignore his phone calls...why?"

"Just because we're not physically together, it doesn't mean that we don't love each other."

"Do you love him?"

That was a question that she couldn't answer even if her life depended on it. Did she love him? Once, she did. In fact, she was head over heels in love with him. Now? She pursed her lips.

"Does it matter?"

"What?"

"Does it matter if I love him or not?"

"To whom?"

"To you."

"No, it doesn't."

"Good, then there is no need for difficult questions. We're here to enjoy ourselves, aren't we?"

"Yeah, I guess we are. Come here."

He pulled her on top of him and nibbled on her lower lip, and she started laughing. She tried to be serious but she couldn't. She felt so young and in no hurry whenever she was with him. It was like the world had split into two pieces: the world outside and the world in Anthony's apartment. And right now, as Tony managed to take off her shirt, she didn't care about the world outside. She didn't care when she will come home, or what her husband would think. Right now, Anthony was all that existed for her.

                                                                               ****

"Dominic, can we talk? It's important," Michelle whispered into the phone, looking over her shoulder in case someone was eavesdropping. It wouldn't be the first time it had happened.