A night of vivid dreams

Dominic parted from Anya and looked at the clock. He wasn't in the mood to go home, and perhaps it was too early to show up at work, but the leather couch in his office felt very inviting. He unlocked the door, turned off the alarm and walked through the hallway without turning on the lights.

Meeting Anya for just a couple of hours made him feel more alive than he'd felt in the past couple of months. Suddenly everything was simpler and more beautiful. He felt the closeness that he wished he'd felt with his wife even at the beginning of their relationship. Why was it, he thought, that this emotional closeness was meant to happen with his employee? He felt something from her, tonight. The way she touched his back and rubbed it with her palm, the way she looked at him during the dinner...was she having a crush on him?

Had he realized that before, rather than now, when he was all alone in the office, maybe he could have done something. He could have kissed her, and seen her reaction. But maybe this was better. This way, he could watch her. He'd promised to be her friend, but he also wanted much, much more than that. He wanted her to give him the sign that she was interested, and he didn't want to make any sudden moves in case she didn't want what he wanted. But if....oh, what a wonderful little word...if she wanted the same, then nothing will take him away from her.

He was exhausted, and the couch was nice and just firm enough to give him comfort. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. He must have dosed off, because the next thing he heard were the doors opening and closing. He propped on his elbow and smiled. Anya sat at the foot of the couch.

"Anya? Is that really you?!"

"Yes. I had a feeling you might be in your office, and I didn't want to go home yet. I hope you don't mind."

"Come closer," he said, gesturing with his finger. She sat in the middle of the couch, at the level of his waist.

"What's up," she asked when she saw his grin.

"Nothing at all. I'm just happy that you're here."

"So am I."

He took her hand, and she entwined their fingers.

"Can I snuggle next to you?" She asked.

"Yes! Please, come as close as you possibly can."

He turned on his hip and made her space. She took his vest and put it under her head. Then she put her palm on his cheek, and caressed him without saying anything.

"Is this real?" He whispered and touched her hair. It was silky beneath his fingertips, and that was good enough for him, to trust that he wasn't dreaming.

"I think it is. But I won't be sure unless I kiss your lips."

"Mmmm, please do."

The silky feeling of her lips on his own sent tingles down his spine. He pinned her waist with his arm, and pulled her towards his body.

"I've been waiting for this for so long, Anya. Waiting for you, I mean."

"I know, I feel it too. We are meant to be together, Dominic. Just you and I. We don't need anybody else."

"You're absolutely right," he whispered into her ear, pulling her even closer to his body. Then someone turned on the lights and he covered his eyes, only to realize that those weren't the lights. It was Michelle who walked into his office and started pulling the curtains to the side.

"What the...," he muttered, rubbing his eyes.

"I thought of leaving you sleep for a little longer, because it looked like you've had sweet dreams, but the people will slowly begin to arrive. It's almost 8 am."