Chapter 26 The Ambush

Start from the beginning

Humans think they're invincible, Jimin thinks bitterly to himself. Arrogant to a fault until the end.

The unpaved streets are coated with a fresh layer of sticky snow. The deep potholes and deep cracks in the road's foundation are almost disguised by the veil of white. A gust of wind sweeps through the empty streets and whistles through the crevices of the rotting buildings.

Valentine, boldly leading the group into the heart of the town, pauses at an intersection. He glances both ways and holds his hand for the group to stop.

Jimin's body aches from held tension. His hands are already shaking with growing panic. What's going on? What does he see? Jungkook takes in a deep breath, flaring his nostrils, and looking around wildly. He bumps his shoulder into Jimin's and exchanges a look. Jungkook mouths while tilting his head toward a closed-down burger restaurant, There.

Jimin follows his gaze and his stomach drops.

A human-shaped head peers through its dusty window. They are being watched.

Seokjin's brow furrows and his expression flashes with frustration. He starts to open his mouth, glaring at Valentine, but the pop of gunfire breaks the held silence.

Jimin jolts and immediately grabs onto Jungkook, angling his body to protect him. Seokjin's eyes go wide with panic and his hands shoot up into the air, fighting back a startled yelp. Jungkook nearly pulls himself out of Jimin's frightened grip and his body shudders as it forces back his transformation.

Jimin searches the streets for any sign of incoming danger and then his heart skitters up into his throat.

Valentine's men are facing them with their guns aimed at the trio. Their expressions seethe with threats and warnings; daring them to try to run away. Their shoulders are pressed against each other to create a solid barrier around the three wolves. They are trapped.

It's difficult to breathe.

Valentine stands beyond the circle with a grim expression, perhaps a shadow of guilt.

"What are you doing!?" Seokjin explodes. "We didn't shoot at you!"

He feels dizzy.

"I know you didn't. You're unarmed," Valentine replies.

Seokjin gapes at him in disbelief and sputters, "What the hell are you doing, Valentine? We're not the enemy here!"

Jungkook lets out a deep growl as his pupils dilate and shake. Jimin feels heat radiating from his trembling body.

"Times are changing, Seokjin, and we're not going to be left behind." Valentine continues, "If you were smart, you would listen to what he has to say."

Seokjin's jaw slacks. "You betrayed us. You betrayed us for them. After all this time—," he chokes on his rage as he speaks, "—all this time, you lied to us! Valentine! What happened!? What changed?"

Valentine has the decency to wince but before he could answer, an unfamiliar voice speaks up. "The world is changing, and Valentine responds well to reason."

A man emerges around the corner of a brick home with an infuriating grin of victory. He spreads his arms out and shrugs. "Welcome, Bangtan, to the future!"

"Who the fuck are you?" Seokjin shouts, throwing his arms to his sides. He steps forward and the humans bristle with fear at the motion.

The man walks to Valentine's side, unruffled by Seokjin's question, and lays a hand on Valentine's slumped shoulder. "I am Alpha Xander, leader of the Nightwalkers." He casts Valentine a mocking smile, "Thank you for retrieving them for us but I thought there were two more."