Volume 6: A Great Beast

In a sick, twisted sort of way, it could almost be described as comical. It looked like a scene from one of those old Godzilla movies. This giant, rampaging beast is being swarmed by dozens of heroes and simply swatting many of them away. With just a mighty swipe from its hand of pure darkness, it could cleave through an entire building like one would chop through a twig. Thankfully The Flash had evacuated most of the civilians before they could be caught in the crossfire. Though even he couldn't be everywhere at once, and several innocents were amongst the debris or crushed beneath the hulking mass.

"Shazam, move!" Supergirl's voice barely cut through the pure carnage echoing around the city. He barely had time to react as he was wrapped in a chain of pure darkness; the speed of Hermes was useless in the face of cosmic horror. He struggled with all his might, but against The Great Evil, even the strength of Hercules was nothing but a drop of water being cast into the sea. A series of sickening cracks could be heard as the pressure from the chains caused several of Shazam's bones to break. 

Zachary Levi as Shazam/Billy Batson

The beast had seemed more focused on widespread destruction. Its first singled-out attack being so brutal, shook the cores of many of the heroes in the area. The only sound that pierced through Shazam's screams; were those of his foster sister, Lady Shazam. Her screams were bone-chilling. She sped toward the monster, anger clouding her mind as all she saw was her brother being broken down so viciously. The creature barely paid her any thought; the chains around Shazam unfurled and whipped his broken body into hers, sending them both smashing into a nearby building. 

J'onn bit down his fear he had to step up, at least until Superman arrived. "Everyone, I know things seem bleak, but we must hold. We are here to defend these people! Fight for them! Fight for the world! We must bear Myh'korr or the entire world will suffer!" J'onn took to the sky, followed by many other heroes. The beast turned its head, one of its fiery, orange eyes looking into J'onn's soul. 

"Myh'korr, HAHAHA! I haven't heard that name in eons." Its voice was like perdition, the agonizing sensation it caused felt like it would last forever. Then, finally, it roared a mighty laugh, "Do you smell that?" Its eyes widened like two pits of misery. Looking into them caused the feeling of pure suffering to crawl over your skin. The heroes looked at each other, unsure what to do; J'onn stood defiantly. The aura of darkness around the demon seemed to flair; it looked like it was leaking pure abyssal twilight. "I love the smell of fear!" 

J'onn barely spun to the side of a chain that shot directly at his head. Green Lantern wasn't quick enough; the chain managed to wrap around his ankle. Supergirl tried to pry the chain from his leg but was paralyzed, unable to move. A hero in black and gold, The Ray, flew in to try and move her, but it would prove to be a fatal mistake on his part. The beast lazily swiped his hand toward Raymond; no one had time to process what had happened. Raymond never even let out a cry of pain. The Ray was no more. All that was left was a rain of blood and bits of guts and other viscera.