Volume 1: Awaken

Y/N POV

June 21th, 2011

  Today might be the happiest day of my life! Not only am I turning 20, but we're also finally having our graduation ceremony. I am a proud graduate, Summa Cum Laude from NYU Grossman. I don't mean to toot my own horn but TOOT TOOT! After all those hours studying, many of which Karla nagged me for being a nerd, I can finally take the greatest gap year in the history of gap years. I don't know how happy dad will be about that but man, I really need this break, my brain has started to feel like sludge after all this work. I might go with Karla on her trip to Zurich, I heard it's a lovely place this time of year. 

"Y/N! Earth to nerd!" Karla's voice quickly shakes me from my thoughts, her annoyed face directly in front of mine. "Have you heard a single word I've said? Of course, you didn't they're about to call your name dumb-dumb" she giggles and points up towards the podium. "Hope you got your speech ready, Mr. Summa Cum Laude." She flicks my cap with a smirk while I quickly try to fix it "As a matter of fact, I do have my speech, you wouldn't know about that, Ms. Magna Cum Laude." I give her a smirk, I know how easy she is to wind up when I bring up that I got a higher distinction. 

"Mhmm, all I hear is that you're the bigger nerd!" she turns her head in a pout and I smile "You're pretty worked up over a nerd bragging contest Karla." She huffs and cuts her eyes to me "You are such a prick sometimes, did you kn-." 

"Y/N Reynolds, Summa Cum Laude, please come up and receive your diploma. We all eagerly await your speech." 

I laugh and stand before turning and whispering to Karla "Sorry, I can't hear you over my massive distinction." I quickly walk off to avoid the swing of the event paper at my head. I laugh as I walk up the ramp to the stage. Karla has always been one of my best friends, even though she's a few years older than me I can barely remember a time when we weren't getting up to trouble together. She's the best friend a guy could ask for, the truth is I couldn't have done this without her. The late-night study sessions, the coffee runs, and all the free pizza she brought me she deserves at least half of this degree. 

I grab my diploma, and shake hands with the dean, posing for a few pictures before I make my way over to the podium. Come on Y/N this is the big moment, it's all been leading up to this. I reach into my pocket and pull out my speech I fight back one more case of stage freight. I look over and lock eyes with Karla and all my fear just washed away. I was made for this moment she helped me get here and I wasn't about to let her down. 

"Hello everyone I just want to start by saying what an honor it is to be here, in front of all of you, giving this speech. Looking out at some of the brightest minds in the world, I feel so proud to be counted among you. We have all worked incredibly hard to be here, and no matter what my diploma says many of you deserve to be up here just as much as I do. I know we have been hearing this our entire school careers but we are the future of the world we can make real changes in the world. I know from the deepest parts of my heart that many of you will change the world for the better.

I look forward to working alongside you all one day. We are the future, we are change, and we are hope. 

---

Karla POV

God, he is so cheesy I'd be lying if I said I didn't love that about him. I wish he would wrap it up though every second he takes I lose a little more courage. I've been wanting to confess to him for about a year now but I never had the courage. I finally work it up and he's gonna waste it all on this speech. It's the perfect time I confess my feelings, he confesses his, and we fly away to live happily ever after in Zurich. Come on Karla just keep it up a little longer this is one of the most important moments of your life.