19TH GEAR - THE PRESIDENT'S SECRET

Beep!

The sound of the Checkpoint Tower blasted on the empty deserted field. I can't believe that they allotted an old Triangle field exclusively for the Merry Knights Speedmage Guild, but at least this field is all for us. I've seen Cool Escape Speedmages practice in a large playing field that contains four Triangles to cater to their over one hundred members.

Beep!

It was already afternoon after our encounter with Professor Azure, and we just finished warming up. For starters, I let my Speedmages run five laps around the Triangle while using their Accel-type speed spells.

The first one to touch the Checkpoint Tower was Cruzo, as he is the fastest Speedmage in this club since he is a Speedster. It's kind of weird to see that the fattest member is also the fastest person in our club.

The second one who touched the checkpoint tower was Ericka. Considering that she is a Striker, her speed and form are better than most I've seen from other clubs.

"Go, Flu! You can do it!" I cheered through the mic.

"R-Right!" Flu said as she was finally close to the Checkpoint Tower.

Flu is improving rapidly, but she still sucks at controlling her speed. Maybe it's because of her competition-grade shoes which makes the controls of her foot a lot more sensitive. She is zigzagging on her first laps, but she'll get the hang of it eventually... I think.

"Ah! I can't slow down!" Flu shrieked.

She rapidly approached the Checkpoint Tower, still at full speed, and then-

Beep!

"Ow!"

Flu finally touched the tower, not by her hand, but by her forehead! Thankfully, the magical barrier prevented her from hurting herself.

"Are you okay!?" We three immediately went to her position.

"I'm fine! Tahahaha! I'm such a failure!"

Flu wryly laughed with a sorry smile while scratching her head. She was still on her knees when we approached her, and she seemed to be tired. There's not a hint of injury on her body, so that's good.

I sighed and then looked at her. "Take a quick break, Flu."

"O-Okay, coach."

Flu said dejectedly as she walked towards the bench and grabbed a towel to dry her sweaty face.

Since this is our first practice and my first day as a coach, I have to know more about the seniors' capabilities in being a Speedmage. I want to see them in a Speed Battle firsthand to improve their strengths and cover their weaknesses.

"Prez, Cruzo, you're up! Let's have a practice bout and let's see what you got!"

"Okay, Coach!" Cruzo excitedly gave me a thumbs-up.

"Well then." Ericka smiled and flipped her wavy blue hair.

Both of our seniors went to the starting Checkpoint Tower and readied themselves while I approached the bench to accompany the tired Flu. I wore the Mystic Glasses and then had the whistle ready on my hand.

"Ready... Get set..."

I raised my hand and blew the whistle.

Fweeeeet!

"Ice Accel!" Prez was the first one to activate her speed magic. She was just faster for a split second. Blue ice streaks were left as she ran forward, and each step she made freezes the ground!