CHAPTER 15: MIDNIGHT STARS

When they eventually reached the campsite everyone was already exhausted. Except for Ash who somehow had as much energy as ever. While the others set up tents, he and Ranboo wandered away from the van where Ollie was attempting to keep everything under control. Ash and Mark's fingers were laced together, hands swinging between them as they walked.

"This is nice," Ash spoke simply, smiling up at their partner. "It is," the taller smiled back. The pair paused by a small playground that stood disused. Ash guessed it was because it was a weekday so no children were camping. He grinned and dragged their partner over to the swings. "Push me?" they asked. Ranboo grinned and did as their partner asked.

Ash laughed as they were pushed higher and higher, clutching at the worn ropes that dug into his palms. "You're an idiot," Mark laughed, shaking their head slightly at his partner. "I'm your idiot though," Ash joked. "Yeah, you are."

W

hen they eventually got back to their tents Bea had already started a campfire that Wren was trying (and failing) to cook hotdogs on while Ollie and Cable laughed at her attempt to be responsible.

"Where have you two been?" Ollie asked when he saw the couple walking towards them. "This one wanted to go on the swings and I can't say no to their puppy eyes," Ranboo joked, pointing at Ash. The redhead grumbled a complaint but Ollie just rolled his eyes, used to the two's banter.

"You might as well just find somewhere to sit, dinner's almost ready," Wren called from where she sat across the fire. Ash and Ranboo quickly sat down side by side on a log near the flames to join the rest of the group.

After eating, everyone had gotten out an instrument to play a few songs around the fire. To save space in the van, Ash hadn't brought any drums and instead was using Ollie's guitar case as a drum the way they often did for acoustic sessions with fans on tour.

(a/n basically the same as the video i linked at the top but without the crowd n shit)

Mark was happy to just watch, sometimes singing along with Wren, Ash and Bea. They mostly played covers but threw in a few originals here and there. Ash lost count of how many songs they'd played but it was almost midnight and his hands were numb from drumming bare handed on a guitar case for hours. Everyone else however, wanted to play one more song before going to bed.

Ash carefully set down the guitar case and almost immediately Mark laid down with his head in their lap. Ash looked down at them with a smile which the brunette quickly returned before Ash tuned back into the other's conversation.

A moment later Cable began plucking notes on his base while Wren started singing.

I got your number
I don't know how long I can wait

Ash gently tapped out the rhythm on Ranboo's forehead and quietly sang along.

To call you over
So we can waste the night away

Mark's expression changed as he recognised the song.

When the lights go out
We're getting up
We go where we go
We do what we want

The brunette's grey eyes reflected the stars as they looked up at Ash.

We'll be the colour in all this black and white

Ash smiled down at them as the taller joined in singing the chorus.

"Are you feeling what I'm feeling
'Cause it's really feeling right
Don't wake me if dreaming
I could stay here all night"

The couple sang together, tuning out the people around them in a moment that felt perfect.

"I can feel it"

Ash didn't believe in soulmates but he knew then in that moment, that Mark was as close to a soulmate as they could get.

"I can feel it"

And Ranboo would do anything for Ash, they were in love and nothing could change that.

"I can feel it coming true"

The song that was their relationship would never end.

"I can feel it
I can feel it
When I'm looking at you"

and that's the end of i can feel it (':

i wanted to keep this going longer but im not in the mcyt fandom anymore so i felt it was easier to end ash's story here

i may write an epilogue or extra scenes at some point for for now this is it

i hope you liked this story and if you did i have 2 more ranboo fics that im working on finishing as well as an xavier thorpe fic

but for probably the last time

bye! take care of yourselves and i hope you liked the chapter!

- noah, 14/3/23