68- Hopelessly in love

Start from the beginning

"Why so!? Our men are superior in every way! And not only that, we are the masters in black magic! Who can defeat us!?" The Duke smirks.

"Actually, your highness...Black magic doesn't have any effect on him! He was never brainwashed! That is the reason why he didn't obey us but he was in truly love with the lady!" The nanny explains.

The Duke falls silent on hearing her words.

"Love!? Is this how he loves my daughter!? Hurting her over and over again!?" He asks.

"That boy is not sane...He is crazy! He is crazy for her so much so that he is ready to do anything and that's what scares the lady the most!" The nanny explains.

"I won't let him get anywhere near to my daughter then! He will have to get her over my dead body!" The Duke swears.

"Come to my chambers Leona and summon all the mages as well. I need to have a discussion with everyone today!" The Duke leaves.

"As you command, Milord!" Leona bows down.

The servants who had just heard the conversation were all equally shocked.

And among them all stood a man, unnoticed by all.

He used a type of magic that could turn him invisible completely.

He was Nine, the ninth member of the secret society.

Having heard everything, he rushed to Caroline's room.

"There shouldn't be any war! We can't put so many people's lives at risk! War means destruction! War means death! We have to stop this at all costs! And at this point only Caroline can stop this war!" He thought.

But just as he entered her room...

He couldn't bring himself to say anything.

Because the woman he admired so much...

That woman was in tears before him!

He couldn't help but reach his arms out and hold her in them.

As he was completely invisible, Caroline feels a strange weight down her shoulders.

"Please don't cry Caroline...I can't bear to watch you like this!" He says.

"Nine??" She exclaimed.

When she calls out his name, he came back to his senses.

He blushed as he realised he was too close to her and immediately released her from his arms.

"I am sorry Milady I..." He apologises and released his magic.

Caroline stares in awe as he slowly becomes visible.

"What are you doing over here??" She asks.

"I have gotten the news...Or rather this whole Kingdom has gotten the the news of your wedding being cancelled. I understand how hurt you must feel but please get a hold of yourself Milady!"

"I...More than my wedding being cancelled...I feel worse when I think he is responsible for it!"

"Eric..." My lips shiver as I call our that name.

"He wants to take everything away from me! My crown, my family, my title! He wants to strip me off it all! So that I can go nowhere but to him! All this madness...Its just because of that crazy thing called love!" She screams as tears rush down from her eyes.

"Calm down milady. And let's face it. No matter what we do it's impossible to defeat Eric Arguens, especially now that he has support from two empires behind him!" Nine explains.

"So what do you want me to do? Surrender to that bastard!?"

"I think as if now that would be the best option...We must avoid war at all costs!"

"There's no way in hell I would do that! I would rather die than surrender without a war!"

"But Milday..."

"No, not this time Nine.  I can't listen to your words. If you want to help then let's contact the secret society again, or else I will consider you as my enemy as of now!" She says coldly.

Nine gulps down a lump in his throat.

Becoming the enemy of the woman he fell in love with!?

It was impossible for him!

At this point, he was ready to give up on his faith for her. He would gladly resign from the secret society, that hates power if she asked.

He sighs and says, "Thats impossible Milady...I can never do that to you! Fine...I will contact the secret society regarding this. And hopefully they would help you with this too as the great leader favours you!"

"I see...Then I would be waiting to meet you all!" That's all she says.

Before lying down on the bed and turning away from him.

Nine stared at her cold back and wondered...

How much pain does she carry within her...?

She never shows it but he understands...

Caroline had the eyes of the warrior that has been fighting too hard against her persistent fate but always getting back to square one.

Her eyes looked tired...

As if they wanted to give up.

But for Nine, that would be his worst nightmare.

Because he had fallen hopelessly for this woman.

💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖

Click on the link in my bio to read the next chapter 💖