Ch. 02 - Proving Your Worth

You leaped towards your  foe, unsheathing the sword of light, clashing it into Mario's flaming fists. How the fighters of this word were unable to be cut to pieces  amazed you, but it also gave you the strength to not worry too much  about using weaponry against a man with no armor. Mario pushed you back  and shot fire balls at you with a, "ha!" You dodged two of the three  fireballs, but the third hit the armor on your shoulder.

You  hissed to yourself,  before using your elemental ability of the air to  boost yourself into the air, so you could gain height advantage. Mario  smirked and leaped into the air to perform his meteor punch. His hand  went right into your jaw, your height advantage turning out to be a  disadvantage. Mario landed beside you, and grabbed your ankles. He gave  you a cocky smirk as he said, "gotcha," and spun you around, throwing  you towards the edge of Battlefield.

You paid no mind to the  many fighters watching. You knew Master Hand was watching your skills,  and you could hear the commentary of a somewhat feminine man.

"Would  you look at that, Adachi," the voice spoke as commentator Goro Akechi.  Adachi looked over at the fight and said, "oh, yeah, would you look at  that? It appears that Mario is about to step on the poor noobie's  fingers. Hope he can get up." He was clearly indifferent.

Mario slowly walked towards you, and was about to step on your fingers which would cause you to let go of the ledge.

"Buh-bye,"  Mario said to you, but before he could step down, you pulled yourself  up in a backflip, landing behind Mario. You used your foot to kick Mario  forward, then shot your own fireball at him. Mario used his recovery,  saying, "you're going to have to try harder than that. He landed in  front of you, and took out the F.L.U.D.D. to cancel out your fire  attacks. You formed a wall of rock to defend yourself from the water  he'd spew out, then climbed the wall. You took out the dark sword and  slashed down onto Mario, causing him to fly backwards into the rocks.

You  dashed at him, slashing with the two swords of two fates. You were  reaching your limit, but so was Mario. He honestly wasn't expecting you  to be this skilled, either. And all it took was a rookie mistake for Mario  to meet his end. He barely missed you with his forward grab, and it  caused him to be vulnerable. You grabbed him, punched him square in  the face three times, then slammed him down. While Mario was down, you  then used your elemental air to swoosh him off of the stage. Mario was  barely able to reach the edge with his recovery, and fell to his  defeat.

You panted as today's commentator, Akechi shouted, "AND WE HAVE A WINNER,"  giving a cackle that was a little evil sounding - kind of concerning. Another man in the commentator room, Adachi, cheered too - but  had a lot less effort in his cheering. Master Hand was impressed by your  skills as well.

You then fell flat on your back, exhausted.  Soon enough, your vision became blurry, then came to a full black. You  felt someone pick you up, but the rest was history.

You woke up  on a white bed with basic sheets and bedding. Your vision was a little  hazy, but once you were a little more awake, you saw Veen sitting by  your bedside.

"You're up, good," she said, standing and walking to you. You looked at her with tired eyes, and she continued to speak.

"Chrono  won. Me and Joro did not, however, Master Hand is allowing us to stay  for moral support, since he believes it's the right thing."

You looked around aimlessly, before sitting up from your bed, holding your head in slight pain. You had a headache.

"Take this," Veen handed  you a glass. You took it and drank the liquid in the cup. It was just  water. You nodded to her in thanks, then slowly get up.

"Take it slow, y/n," she says, catching you as you staggered forward.

You and Veen then walk  into the main hall of Smash Mansion. Standing there, were the original  eight; Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Samus, Yoshi, Kirby, Fox, and Pikachu.  They all cheered for you, as a ninth, Captain Falcon, approached you.

"Nice  moves, y/n," he said as he pat your shoulder harshly, almost like a  slap, "you certainly showed me them in today's battle."

You let out a tired yawn. You still ached from the battle, but you were content in knowing you were in smash.

"Y/N!!!"

You looked over to see Joro running towards you, leaping into your arms to give you a hug.

"Congratulations on winning! I'll be on the sidelines always, ready to cheer you on!"

Chrono  stood at the stairway, giving you a smug expression. He was determined  to beat you in battle, but let you have your moment of glory for now;  after all, he had his while you were out cold from the exhaustion.

Everyone  was cheering for you, congratulating you, and more. It was all  overwhelming for you, but you were happy. Nervous, but still happy.  Though, a certain person caught your eye as you tuned out the cheers of  your friends and idols. An inkling girl, who couldn't be much older  than you, if even that. Her most notable feature was that she was ... much taller than the other inklings partaking in smash. She also had some sort of crystal on her chest, but you couldn't make out what it was before she became squid and zoomed off. Out the door she went through, a familiar blonde man with a red vest. He was Shulk! The man who could see into the  future, with the power of his futuristic weapon, the Monado.  You were a  fan of him, and thought he was very cool.

"Good job out there, I knew you'd win," Shulk said to you as he approached you. You nodded in thanks, as usual.

"not much of a talker?" Shulk asked, looking towards Veen.

"They're just tired. Give them time, they'll come around, I'm sure."

Shulk nodded, then pat your shoulder.

"Come see me in the mess hall later tonight. I've got some things I want to speak with you about, y/n."

You  nod, and then he leaves. Everyone else realizes that it's getting to  the evening times, and decide to head off. They give you a final  congratulations, before they depart. You sigh, and look at Veen. She can  tell that you want to head back to your room and rest.

"Let's go, you can meet Shulk in a few hours. First, you need to rest more."

What does Shulk have in store for you?
Find out in chapter 3.