trust me

The next night at 7:30, you showed up to Bart's bonfire solo. Delaney greeted you at the door and welcomed you in; there were a bit more people there than you expected. As she led you through the small house and out the twin glass back doors, she told you a few details of the place. Apparently it was a one bedroom rental he hadn't had for long, and this was kind of like a housewarming party, minus the mandatory gifts.

      Surprisingly, Remi was there, and ran up to hug you when she spotted you. She was one of those friends that even though life took you separate ways, when you got back together, things picked up right where they left off. The three of you headed outback where Bart and his friends had a beer funnel and were loudly cheering each other on. There were flimsy, foldable chairs scattered around the fire, and your trio sat there catching up.

   Once Remi was filled in about Tate, Delaney asked, "So did you invite him? Is he coming?"

   "I did," you smiled shyly, "And he said he is."

   "Holy shit I haven't seen him in years," Remi commented. "Did he have a glow up?"

   "I mean, no, technically?" you shrugged. "He looks the same but... I've always thought he was sort of beautiful."

   This evoked playful shoves and prolonged 'awwws' from your friends, then Delaney asked, "Still gonna make your move tonight?"

   "Yeah," you said proudly. "I am. I have no idea how it'll go or what I'm gonna say, what he's gonna say but... my hopes are high."

   "Love that for you guys," Remi said as Delaney excitedly clapped a few times. "When's he getting here?"

   "I told him 7-7:30, so, any time now."

   "Awesome," she replied, just as a typical jock-looking guy came trotting over.

   "A few of us are heading to the basement for a sesh, you guys want in?" He asked, pointing over his shoulder with his thumb.

   "Do you even have to ask?" Remi stood immediately. Delaney looked hesitantly to you when Bart began waving her over, and you dismissed her, letting her know you'd be okay alone. You didn't want to miss Tate showing up, he'd hate to arrive and not see anybody he knew.

      So you waited. And waited. An entire hour passed, and you were still by the fire, alone, waiting. Your friends had come over a few times to check on you, but given their hazy state of mind, were too distracted to notice how upset and embarrassed you were. You were angry again at Tate's lack of social media or even cell phone in general; you couldn't even call and ask where he was or if he was still coming. Before you knew it, people were gathering their things and heading home, or passing out on the lawn, or sprawled over Bart's living room furniture unconscious. You thanked Delaney for the invite, Remi kissed your cheeks goodbye, and you went home totally humiliated.

      First thing the next morning, you headed angrily over to Tate's house. You hated that that was your only option to reach him, but it was what it was. The whole drive over you thought about exactly what to say, what reason he might've had to leave you stranded. When you pulled up to his house, you saw him pacing in his front lawn under the shade of the huge tree that grew there. When you got out and slammed your car door, it caught his attention.

   He ran over to the tall metal gate and gripped two of the bars, "Y/N! You're here!"

   "Yeah I'm here," you leaned against your car, arms crossed. "And where were you last night?"

   His expression was contrite, almost pained, "Something came up."

   "Okay," you shook your head once, "Let's hear it."

   "I- I can't tell you," He murmured. "But please, just come in here okay? I'll make everything okay again."

   You refused to accept that response and said, "So, I excitedly tell my friends that you're coming to this bonfire with me, look forward to seeing you all night, get stood up and look like an idiot in front of everyone, and you can't tell me why you never showed?" You shook your head again and opened your driver's side door.

   "Please!" He pleaded. "It's... you just have to trust me." It almost looked like he was going to cry. "Please Y/N.. I lo-.." he stopped himself. You froze for a second: was he about to say he loved you?

   If he loved you, he could tell you what the hell had happened last night. You plopped back down into your car, much to his dismay and said, "Sorry Tate. I gotta go."

   As you pulled off you could see him tugging at his own hair and shaking the bars of the gate around his yard: some things never change. During the drive back to your house, you replayed his words and wondered even more curiously what could've happened last night to prevent him from coming. You figured he was just lying and chickened out, but was too ashamed to tell you. About a block away from your house, you could see a car out front with a blonde woman leaned against it, puffing a cigarette. When you got closer, you realized it was Constance; she stared at you the entire time you pulled in the driveway and put your car in park.

   She opened her car door and motioned inside, "Got a minute?"

   You looked around to be sure she was talking to you, and was baffled to realized there was no one else she could be talking to. You hesitantly approached her, and got in her car a second after she did.

   You spoke first, "Aunt Thea's not home."

"I know that," she blew a mouthful of smoke toward the windshield. "I came to see you. About my boy."