dropouts

"Why didn't you look for me?" He countered immediately.

   "I did," you said offendedly. "I looked for you on everything, I asked around about you but no one knew."

   "You came here today. Why didn't you do it back then?"

   You felt cornered, he had a point there, but you remembered your last interaction, "You said it would be okay if we had lunch the next day, then you never showed. Why was I expected to hunt you down?"

   "I thought you didn't wanna see me anymore," he said dejectedly. "I don't know why, but we fell apart your freshman year. You left me. When you said you wouldn't."

   Guilt tightened your chest; you didn't know why things happened that way either. You had a lot to apologize for, but decided to save the heavy talk for another time. When you guys finally made eye contact again, you asked, "Where'd you go? And why was your mom acting so weird after I said I knew you at the fall party?"

   A look a panic crossed his face, but he disguised it quickly, "I dropped out. I... hated high school." You raised your eyebrows in surprise, then he continued. "My mom was really ashamed of me for quitting though, and wants to just completely erase that part of my life. But get this-- Kurt Cobain, Quentin Tarantino, DeNiro, Pacino... all high school dropouts."

   "Hey, I wasn't judging. I would've dropped out too if I could've," you assured him. "But Thea would've killed me. Speaking of that..." You trailed off and finally joined him on the floor, suddenly feeling like you were just kids again. "Why didn't you come to my graduation?"

   He looked deeply regretful and only said, "I wanted to."

   You could tell it was something he wasn't ready to talk about; he seemed to still be a pretty sensitive guy. You let it go for now and changed the subject, "Well, what are you doing these days? Where have you been?"

   "Around," he answered vaguely. "And I do all my work remotely, from home." He pointed lazily to a laptop set up on a desk against the wall.

   "And Constance?"

   "Not much changed there, I doubt you'll run into her around here," he answered.

   "So... you work from home, your mom's never home, and you never go out?"

   "Welcome to my life," he said sarcastically, but instead of laughing you looked at him sympathetically, and gratefully.

   He noticed and it got quiet for a second before you fondly said, "You really are here though, aren't you?"

   "Of course," the corners of his mouth turned up. "I'll always be here if that's what you want."

   Your face heated, and you smiled along with him. After that, things went right back to how they were before you got to high school. You caught him up on the Delaney and Bart drama and how cruel and unfair your Aunt had gotten all while his favorite Nirvana songs played in the background.

   While on the subject of guardians and parents, he said, "I know the rumors spread about me." You met his gaze and waited for elaboration, and he said, "That I killed my dad."

   "Oh.." you said quietly. "Yeah, I've heard them."

   He got ever-so-slightly closer and said in a low voice, "How'd you know they aren't true?"

   "You don't scare me," you grinned, as did he. "I know you. Plus you were like thirteen when he left."

   "Good theory, though," he sat back again, amused with the idea of murder. "Hugo left, then a few years later people find out he hit me and I disappear from school? Makes enough sense."

   "That it does, and I wouldn't blame you," you said nonchalantly. Tate seemed pleasantly surprised by your indifference.

   "Tell me if I should tone it down but... I really missed you, Y/N," he told you sincerely. "You're the only person who's ever understood me and accepted me as I am."

   You looked shyly to the ground then back up at him, with his endearing lop-sided grin, and said, "I really missed you too."

   His appreciative joy was gone a moment later when he asked self-consciously, "Can I show you something?"

   "Anything."

   After a deep sigh, he watched your face as he, for the second time, lifted his sleeve to show you his bare forearm. Now, instead of fresh cuts, there was a seemingly deep, white scar that went from the start of his wrist almost to the bend of his elbow.

   The inner corners of your eyebrows raised in sorrow, and you instinctively put your hand over the healed wound, "You attempted?"

   He nodded dismally, "My senior year, not long after I dropped out." You brought his cold hand up to your lips as he spoke. "Things were rough. My mom had... a lot going on already, and when I dropped out she was just so disappointed in me," he didn't seem finished but his voice began to break.

   You led his arm to go around you and crawled completely over to him for another on-the-ground hug, "I'm so sorry I wasn't there." You were the one fighting back tears now. "I should've been there."

   He squeezed you, "You're here now."

   He pulled away after that, your faces so close you could feel his breath. You thought about kissing him, but decided it best to wait. You returned to your own spot on the floor and said, "And I plan to keep my word this time. I don't want us to separate again."

   "Never ever," he added excitedly. "And if it's okay... I'd like to hold onto you a while longer."

   You got an idea that would solve all your current issues. You stood suddenly, and took the liberty of assuming he was okay with you plopping onto his bed. You patted the spot next to you and said, "You as tired as I am?"

   He nodded eagerly and jumped up to join you, looking like he'd won the lottery. Naturally, he wanted to be the little spoon, and you were happy to oblige. He wiggled backward against you, and you nuzzled your nose into the crook of his neck. Your Tate, back in your arms. You didn't even mind when he pulled your hand over his chest and held it to fall asleep.