Chapter 14

She was put in a cage, invisible and strange

She was put in a cage, invisible and strange. She ran along the borders, carefree and unaware, failing to realize she had never escaped in the first place.

-Maryam
~~

"Are you sure this is enough?" Maryam halted, reaching for the doorbell, her hand hung in midair at the worried whisper of her mother tickling her ears.

Looking over her shoulder, she watched her mom with her brows shot up in exasperation.

"Mom, it's enough," Maryam replied, her hands now gesturing towards the box of baked pie in one of her own hands and the other box of chocolates along with a bouquet of orchids held by her mother. Adding as a reminder she said, "As a matter of fact, we were told to not bring anything in the first place."

Faria's elbow shot up to hit Maryam's back lightly.

"Ouch!" Maryam cried out in exaggeration at her unfazed mother.

"We don't just arrive at people's houses empty handed, girl! Your father would have been appalled that you'd even think of visiting somebody's house with no present."

Maryam's heart pinched at her mother's words, at the reminder of her father, like it always did. Nevertheless, Maryam chuckled before shaking her head at her mum.

"Ugh... I am not sure Dad would be so willing to meet Zack or his family in the first place. Not without a fierce interrogation that'd have surely put Zack into a trauma."

Faria muffled her laughs as the duo imagined the grueling interrogation that'd have occurred at Zack's behest.

"Come on now, Maryam love. Don't make your father seem so evil." But still, her mum couldn't stop choking on her laughter.

Slowly, Maryam's laughter diminished, replaced by an endearing smile at the sheer joy on her mother's face. When was the last time, they had had a laugh so free of care? When was the last time, that reminiscing about her father brought them joy so pure?

It took her mother a while to gain her composure as Maryam waited patiently. That was one thing about her mother. Once she starts laughing she can't control it, it goes on for sometime. Maryam didn't mind though, as a matter of fact, she loved it. It had been a long time, since she saw her mother be herself. And she needed that. Maryam needed that... to watch her mother beaming with happiness, a thousand times.

Making sure the situation was under control, Maryam gave herself a once over. Her purple satin gown fell beautifully down her waist all the way to her ankles. A pair of golden platform wedges embraced her feet, whereas a black and purple scarf covered snuggly around her face and over her reddish brown hair. Her face was dusted with light powder. Her eyes were rimmed in kohl and mascara, and her were lips coated in pink nude matte lipstick, completing her desired look.