Marsha and Alec: Tired of waiting

Marsha: Fifth Year, Alec: Seventh Year

Marsha Pritchard did not care. She didn't care one bit. In fact, she couldn't care less that Alec Avery was currently snogging Elisa Sanders down on the other end of the table. It didn't bother her. And she believed that if she kept thinking that, then it might just become true.

"You're about to bend that fork in half," Riley Vaisey commented as he looked at one of his best friends, calmly eating his own dinner.

Marsha quickly put the utensil down. "Sorry," she mumbled.

"You need to stop staring, it only makes you angry," Riley told her. While most saw Riley as being in the middle of a fight between his two friends, Marsha thought he handled it well. There were days he hung out with her, and days he hung out with Alec. He never complained, but just stated that it had nothing to do with him.

"He's doing it on purpose," Marsha retorted. "You know he is. The only reason he's dating that . . . whore, is because he knows it will annoy me."

Riley thought about that. "Possibly. He is pretty angry at you for picking John. And now . . . now's he's pissed that you've gone off and dated other boys since you broke up with John."

That was true. Since she broke up with John, and still refused to talk with Alec, Marsha had taken her own form of revenge on him. Marsha wasn't stupid. Alec had been her best friend for a long time. She knew how he worked. And after her breakup, he'd expected her to come to him. But Marsha refused to play that game. Instead she went on multiple dates with many different boys, never giving Alec a simple greeting. She knew it ate him up inside . . . just like watching him kiss Elisa tore her apart.

"Maybe he should man up and apologize," Marsha muttered.

"So, you think he should do what he wanted you to do to John? You want him to dump Elisa and come ask you out?" Riley countered.

Marsha avoided Riley's eyes. "He's only dating her to get back at me. I actually liked John."

"It doesn't matter. With you, John's feelings were at stake, and you didn't want to hurt him. And now, Elisa's feelings are at stake. And as much as you hate her now, do you really want him to hurt her?" Riley stated.

Marsha didn't have an answer.

"Come on, why won't you go out with me?" Scott Avery questioned as he followed Marsha down the hall. She was heading toward the library, really needed to do a bit of revisions for her O.W.L. exams.

Marsha rolled her eyes. "Because I know you, Scotty. I'm best friends with your brother. It'd be weird."

"Yeah, but you're fighting now," Scott pointed out.

Marsha just shook her head. "Still weird. Besides, I already promised a date to Dale Kirke," she told him. "Sorry."

"Dale Kirke? The Gryffindor sixth year?" Scott asked, as if to clarify.

"Yes, that very one. Now, if you'll excuse me," Marsha said before hurrying into the library.

Marsha should have known that talking with Scott was a trap. She should have known that he didn't really want to go out with her. As the brother of her current enemy, she should have known what he really was. A spy. Because as she was doing her prefect rounds that night, she was stopped by none other than Alec Avery.

"What are you doing out here this late?" Marsha demanded, trying to sound official, but her insides were just a tad bit shaky. Because no matter how mad she was at him, Marsha couldn't ignore how attractive he was. She couldn't ignore how his smile sent flutters through her heart, or how his low voice practically made her melt.