Lana and Dante: These Rare Things

Lana sighed as she stirred her coffee. Her mind was moving as sluggishly as her spoon was. She was too tired to be up this early. And it wasn't like she had anything to do. Astoria wasn't having a photo shoot today, so having a makeup artist wasn't needed.

"What are you doing up this early?" Amanda Baddock inquired as she entered the kitchen. She immediately began to pour her own cup of coffee.

Lana shrugged. "I don't know," she mumbled. She and Tamara Nott had moved in with Amanda and Beth Crowley not long after they'd both graduated. Lana didn't know Tamara's reasons, but she could hardly stand having her mother fuss over her on days like this. Not that her mum was against Lana being a makeup artist, but whenever Lana wasn't working, her mother was always trying to cater to her. Lana never knew being spoiled could be irritating.

"It's a bit surprising to see you up is all," Amanda commented as she began to make breakfast.

"That was my thought," Lana replied.

"Has the mail come yet?" Tamara asked as she joined them in the kitchen. Unlike the other two, she went for a glass of milk instead.

"Not yet," Lana told her. "Shouldn't be long though."

Tamara slammed down her glass, then quickly put it in the sink. "Well, if there's any for me, just leave it on the counter. I've got to go into work early."

"You work at Madam Malkin's. What the hell does she need you in early for?" Lana asked.

Tamara shrugged. "I don't know. I just do as she says. Anyways, see you girls later."

"Bye," Amanda said from the cabinet.

"Later, Tamara," Lana said with a small wave. Then she looked at Amanda. "What have you got going on today, Mandy?"

"I don't need to go into work until this afternoon," Amanda answered.

Lana rolled her eyes. "You're self-employed," she commented.

Amanda gave her a brief grin. "Exactly, and I say that I don't have to be in until this afternoon." Lana suppressed a laugh as she took a sip of her coffee. "What about you, Lana? Are you working today?"

Lana shook her head. "No, I'm not. I don't know what I'll do today."

"Well, you've got me until later," Amanda joked. Then she glanced at the hallway. "Is Beth ever getting up? Or did she even come home?"

"Yeah, with Wade," Lana told her. "I'm starting to be really thankful for that Silencing Charm you put on her room."

"After so many years, you get tired of hearing Beth's escapades in action," Amanda muttered.

"You know, I thought she was dating Ted West," Lana commented.

"She's not dating either of them," Amanda retorted. "She just goes back and forth between them. She sleeps with one on Monday, the other on Tuesday."

"Well, I'd call her lucky, but considering it's Ted West and Wade Macnair, she really isn't," Lana joked.

Amanda laughed. "I think Ted's kinda cute. Definitely cuter than Wade."

"Why those two? I mean, of all the men Beth could choose?" Lana wondered.

"Like I said, Ted's cute. And Wade's making big money," Amanda pointed out.

"Our friend's a gold digger," Lana said with a chuckle.

"Pretty much," Amanda agreed.

Their discussion was interrupted by an owl tapping on the window. "I've got it," Lana said as she stood from her seat. She opened the window, letting the owl in. It dropped the mail on the counter, and looked at Lana expectantly. She dug into the little bag on the counter, money kept especially for the mail, and pulled out the needed amount. Then she placed it in the owl's little bag, and closed the window after it left.