Chapter 18 - A Moment Like No Other

Start from the beginning

"Are you blind?" asked Ms Hudson with disbelief. "Don't you see the pictures?"

It was such an unexpected reaction from Ethan that Olivia froze in place, especially when Ethan spoke his mind further.

"I see the pictures but so what?" he asked. "They prove nothing. I admit that it's strange they did this behind my back but she wouldn't cheat on me."

"Apart from being a slut, she now makes you speak against me?"

He clarified that his mother had it all wrong and he wasn't speaking against her. Whatever the situation was with Pete, Olivia didn't feel the need to ever mention it to him and he knew her as someone who preferred getting things done on her own. He repeated she didn't cheat on him and he was the only man she had ever been with.

"I know more than anyone how Olivia made me wait until our wedding night," said Ethan, keeping his gaze on his mother. "She made we wait until that night because she placed such a high value on the meaning o-"

Before he could speak further, his mother slapped him across the face, then it went silent for a few seconds until she took a few steps back as she spoke in a low but aggressive tone. "There have been other times when you've disappointed me, but this is it!"

During the confrontation, Angela had kept her hands together and a poker face but just for a second, her lips formed a round shape with wide eyes at how Ethan had defended Olivia and the sudden slap.

It took a moment for Ethan to pull himself together after the slap, which had never happened before. Without addressing it, he looked at Olivia, who was still frozen in place. "I stand by what I said. Olivia didn't cheat on me," he repeated.

When he looked back at his mother, he noticed her unsteady breathing as her eyes grew wide and she gritted her teeth before she spoke to him with a tone of disappointment. "Had someone told me that one day, my own son wouldn't take my side, I wouldn't have believed them. How dare you do this to me? How could you call me a liar?"

"You have it all wrong," he said. "I'm just saying Olivia would never cheat on me. I didn't call you a liar."

"You're taking her side over mine," Ms Hudson scoffed with defeat, the glare in her eyes threatening.

Not wanting to see his mother so defeated, which had never happened before, he got closer to her and placed his hands on her shoulders to assure her that it wasn't the case but he also knew that Olivia had always been faithful.

Right when he uttered his last word, Ms Hudson pushed him away and yelled. "So this is what it has come to, my own son standing against me instead of standing by me? What wrong did I ever do to you? I've been nothing but supportive your whole life. I've always looked out for you and only wanted what's best for you and this is what I get? I'm trying to save you from this good for nothing who still tries to latch onto you!"

"Mom-"

"This pregnant slut has you under her spell!" Yelled Ms Hudson, then picked up a picture to squash it and stormed out without saying anything more.

As soon as she stormed out, he rushed after her but first told Olivia, with clenched fists, that he would speak to her soon.

Once Ethan and Ms Hudson were out of the apartment, Olivia replayed what had just happened in her mind while still in the same spot and barely blinked. When the realization finally hit her about what he had done, her knees weakened and she almost fell to the floor but took a few steps back to maintain her balance and Angela held onto her.

"Are you alright? That slap was so loud that I felt it!" said Angela but soon shook her head in disapproval of saying such a thing at the wrong time. "My apologies, Ma'am. I'll just clean up these pieces of glass."