Letting my own eyes roam the eerily empty clearing, I said the only explanation I could think of for such a strange disappearance. "It is clear that my ship has been taken," I surmised, glancing out at the darkest spot in the center of the ditch where my ship had once been.

"I agree. What worries me is by whom," Blake said, turning her scrutinizing gaze to the trees surrounding us and resting a hand on the archaic gun strapped to her thigh.

"There is nobody near us. Whoever took my ship is long gone."

Blake's head quickly turned to regard me. "How could you possibly know that?" She asked harshly, glaring at me with her green eyes blazing with scrutiny. It made me wonder briefly what she would like if she smiled at me.

"I would have heard them if they were near," I answered plainly.

Blake blinked a few times before she opened her mouth to respond before closing it.

I knew it...I heard Blake mumble to herself, turning away from me to look back out at the ditch.

"Look!" Jada suddenly shouted, pointing to something engraved in the dirt. Squinting my eyes, my brows knitted together as I realized what she was pointing to.

Deep grooves crisscrossed over each other in an intricate pattern leading from the burnt hole where my ship had once been. The sight confused me since it was unlike anything I had ever seen. Although, it was clear that whatever it was, it was responsible for taking my ship.

"Wait here," Blake said to Jada before stepping into the ditch. Following behind her, I made my way down to the site. As we came upon the location of where my ship was, Blake stopped abruptly.

"No way," Blake whispered to herself, her eyes wide and unbelieving as she took in the markings herself.

I could see the alarm in Blake's eyes as she turned to look at me. "We have to get out of here, now!"

My eyes widened in surprise and I rushed to follow after her. "Why, what is wrong?"

"I only know one group with access to machinery like that, and I want nothing to do with them," Blake rushed out, turning to walk out of the ditch and back toward where Jada waited.

"Come on Jada, we have to go!" Blake said as soon as she made it out of the crater formation, grabbing Jada by the arm to begin pulling her back to where we had come.

"What's going on?" Jada snapped, pulling her arm from Blake's grasp.

"There were huge tire markings all over the site. The Deviants took the ship, there's nothing to be done. We have to get out of here before they find us," Blake explained, slightly out of breath. Her eyes were wide and almost unseeing as she glanced between Jada and the surrounding forest.

The Deviants...I repeated to myself, remembering that Blake had mentioned them multiple times. It was clear this particular group of Terrans was a hostile species, from Blake's numerous descriptions of their violence and bloodlust. If I recalled correctly, Blake had mentioned there were hundreds of them and they were responsible for something as awful as the collapse of a planet. What she meant by that I was unsure. Though, if that were true, then this planet had not always been in such a state...

My curiosity as to what had happened to this Earth was strong but I would have to ask another time. Apparently, it was frightening enough to send someone as brave and formidable as Blake into a stupor.

"Sorry Vorian, but we can't help you," Blake said suddenly, moving to walk away.

"Wait! Please-"

"Let's go, Jada!" Blake called as she walked off, not stopping to look back.

"So you're just going to give up?" I heard Jada call to Blake, making her pause in her steps.

Blake pivoted around to regard Jada. "I'm not going to steal something from the Deviants! It's suicide, Jada!"

"We promised to help him find his ship Blake. We made a deal!" Jada reasoned, gesturing to where I stood beside her.

Blake's gaze found mine and this time her words were directed at me. "We found your ship, it's with the Deviants in the city about half a day's walk in that direction," Blake said pointing to someplace beyond the trees. "Good luck!"

"I can't believe this, where is your humanity girl?" Jada pleaded, her eyes watching Blake imploringly.

"My humanity? He's an alien Jada! We owe him nothing!" Blake argued, and I felt something in my stomach twist at the way she spat the word alien.

"He can offer us protection Blake! It's clear now that the Deviants are getting bolder. We can't fight them alone, and I don't know about you, but a seven-foot-tall alien seems pretty capable," Jada reasoned.

"I can fight!" Blake huffed, pulling out her gun for emphasis.

"With what? The couple of bullets you have left? Be realistic, Blake, please!" Jada pleaded, and Blake tore her eyes away from Jada, staring off into the trees. I could practically see the fury rolling off her in waves.

"What would your father do?" Jada asked suddenly, making Blake stiffen. At Jada's words, Blake fell silent. I watched as all the anger and rage dissipated from her body as she slowly turned to stare at Jada in shock.

"How dare you," Blake said lowly, her tone sending chills down my spine.

"You and I both know if he was in your position he would do what's right."

"Doing the right thing is what got him killed," Blake muttered, now glaring at the gun held firmly in her grasp.

I felt Blake's pain as if it were my own. So many questions ran through my mind that I desperately wanted to ask. I wanted to know everything about her, good and bad.

"You are right, you owe me nothing, Blake," I finally said, prompting both Jada and Blake to look at me. "All I ask is that you take me to where my ship might be and I will handle the rest from there. The last thing I want to do is put either of you in more danger than I have."They glanced at each other for a moment before Jada nodded.

"Fine. I'll take you to the city, but that's it," Blake conceded, putting her gun back into the holster on her thigh. "But first, we need to take Jada back to the cabin. Vorian and I will go alone, it's just too dangerous otherwise."

"Your father would be proud, Blake," Jada said, giving a warm smile to Blake who muttered something to herself.

"Come on, let's go," Blake said finally, pivoting to walk off and back toward the direction of the cabin. I watched her go, navigating the thick forest as if she were a part of it. She was a natural-born warrior, an admirably strong soul with a brave heart. She made it look effortless. I couldn't help but stare in awe and fascination, drinking up my last few moments with my fiery Terran.

After she took me to a place called the city, she would leave and I may never see her again. At the thought, the sinking feeling returned and I let my eyes fall to the strangely wet dirt beneath my boots.

"Would you mind?" Jada suddenly asked from beside me, gesturing to my back. I blinked as I processed her words. Nodding, I kneeled to let the older Terran climb on my back once more. Once she was stable, I marched off into the forest, following the path the Blake set.

My stride felt heavy, as each step took me closer and closer to the dreaded moment when I would have to say goodbye.