Chapter Seventeen

Jack

I was in a dark alley alone and cold. There were too many figures all around me and all of them had the same face. Selena, over and over. She was all around me. I tried to scream but no sound was vocalized. I was alone.

"Babe? Babe! Wake up!" Zack's voice brought me from my terrible nightmare. He cradled me in his arms while I cried. His gentle hand rubbed circles on my back while whispering sweet nothings in my ear. "I love you, Jay, please tell me about it?" He asked, still holding me. "B-but don't let go?" Was my only request, which he agreed to quickly.

After I told Zack all about it, he held me and promised she'd never get me. We laid in silence for about an hour before hearing Alex stir at the kitchen table. "Lex?" I called out, breaking the silent night air. "Yeah Jack?" He called back in his sleep-coated-voice. "Stop looking at things about space and get some sleep." I called back. "Nah, I woke up about an hour ago, hearing you scream. But I went to bed early last night so I'm good. Wanna come make me some guac? I'll wake Ry up and we can have some all time low time?" He called back, making me hop out of bed and start on some guac with my love.

We started chopping and mixing and chopping and stirring. "J-Z Rock and rolley guacamole!" I said as I set the guac down in front of them. "I'd get cut for this guac!" Lex said with a smile.

/three days later/

Toronto, ON.

Yesterday morning there was a note in Zack's bunk when we woke, tangled in each other. We asked the guys if they'd seen anyone come in and they hadn't. Curious, we opened the blank envelope to see another note. "Now. Or. Else." I gulped, beginning to shake a little.

Since that incident, we have been extra careful. I was always with Zack or Alex or Rian or Cass. I was never alone. We've only spotted Selena once since then. We also haven't told the guys about the note.

All of us spent our day at the tent or the signing, meeting fans, selling merch, and taking pictures. It's so beautiful to hear their stories and how we influenced their lives. After the signing, we went back to the hotel room we had gotten for last night and today and got ready for the show. We had a suite, Rian and Cass got one room, Zack and I got the other, and Lex slept on the couch: per his request.

We rocked the stage in this fine Canadian venue, surely leaving a lasting impact on the crowd. I flirted with Zack the entire time, never worrying about Selena watching.

After the show, I decided to stay with Alex at the merch table, as Zack and Rian wanted to go work out a bit on the bus. We met hundreds of fans, signing lots of CDs, phone cases, and pictures. About halfway through the line, Lex got a call from Lisa. He apologized heavily to the rest of the line for having to leave: but his lady needed him.

It dawned on me after he left that I was supposed to keep him with me. Oh well. I met the rest of the line, loving every minute of it. Then it was time to leave.

Get to the bus quickly. Quickly. Quickly.

I tried so hard to exit the venue and get out and to the bus without seeing anyone. But then I saw a few shadowy figures in the parking lot on the other side of the venue from the bus. I never get the exits right on this god damn tour.

The figures approached me. Closer. Closer. The closer they got the bigger their muscles were. Punching. Kicking. Hitting. The last thing I saw before I knocked out was her figure leaving an envelope on my chest.

I woke up a little later, a thumping headache and aching everything reminding me what happened. I screamed. I yelled. I wished to god I'd die.

Oh god. What if they found Zack. No no no. My sweet ray of sunshine he has to be okay.

After a few minutes of my yelling, Zack came to me. He leaned down in front of me, "Oh god baby I'm so sorry. I'm so fucking sorry I'll never leave your side ever again. Oh god." He told me in a hushed tone before screaming, "Alex! Call 911!" He returned to comforting me and whispering how much he loves me.

Lights. Bright, bright lights. Alex came to my side then. "I had to beg Zack to let me come and have him drive to the hospital. But leaving you in this ambulance would give me a panic attack. I love you so much Jay."

We were at the hospital before I knew it. The guys and Cass came and said goodbye to me, telling me they'll meet me in my room once the tests are done.

"Oh fuck. We're lucky his right shoulder is what broke or else he wouldn't be able to play shows. Not that we'd care, but he'd be upset." I heard Alex say. Zack was crying crocodile tears. I smelled the scent of Rian, "A concussion too? Wow. That'll leave his ear monitors at a low volume. I'm glad today is an off day. Do any of you want Starbucks? I'll get Jack his usual." They all responded with their orders before Ry and Cass left.

I fluttered my eyes open to reveal a very panicked Alex and a sad, sad Zack. "I'll go get the doctor!" Zack said quickly, not wanting to see me in this state. The loud noise made my head hurt. Alex spoke up then. "Wanna know what all you broke?" I nodded. "You fractured your right shoulder blade, they're gonna fix your cast and sling so you can perform. You sprained your left ankle, they said from kicking back... They're going to put it in a boot, so no jumping. You broke three ribs. One on your left side and two on your right.. And you have a concussion. They said you can still perform, but to have a chair ready in case you get tired and if you aren't well enough for something don't force you. And no jumping or hopping on stage. Got it?" He said sternly, before giving me a cheeky smile, letting me know he's nervous as hell.

"I got it. I love you, Alex. Thank you so much." I said, earning an, "I love you too."

What did that note say?