Chapter 17 - The Pictures

Start from the beginning

"Shut up."

"Come on, I'm still waiting for the details. How was it, balancing meetings and some alone time with her?"

"Enough with that nonsense."

Pete chuckled but soon noticed Ethan's poker face. "What are you thinking about?"

Ethan sighed. "What do you know about mood swings?"

"I have no idea why you would ask me that."

"It's because of Olivia."

"Right, sometimes I forget she's carrying your baby."

"I dropped off Angela yesterday at the apartment so she could take care of Olivia and s-"

"Hold it right there! You gave up Angela?"

"I had no choice. Olivia specifically asked for her."

"And you agreed to it?"

"I'll do anything to make sure Olivia's comfortable. It wasn't easy but it was what she wanted."

"It sounds like you would move mountains for Olivia."

"Don't get the wrong idea. I'll do anything for her for the sake of the baby. That's it."

"Right," Pete scoffed, then poked his cheek

"Anyway, at first, it was like she wanted me there, then suddenly told me to leave but soon enough, said she needed me and finally..."

"She told you to leave?"

Ethan nodded rapidly as if to appreciate his best friend's understanding of what he wanted to say. He then went on a rant about Olivia and how he would have to get used to the mood swings but didn't like the thought of having to adjust every time her mood would switch.

Ethan spoke about Olivia so much that Pete clenched his fist. "Have you ever noticed you speak more about Olivia than Natalie? Shouldn't it be the opposite since Natalie will soon be your wife?"

"Don't start with that. By the way," Ethan paused then stroked his chin with a smirk. "Olivia's looking good." He went on to further describe her beauty and was impressed by how she now made it a routine to not look so miserable.

To Pete, it sounded as if Ethan would soon find his way back to Olivia so out of curiosity, he mentioned it but Ethan scoffed, claiming it was ridiculous to even think that way. He just still found her attractive and that was it.

Pete chuckled with a nod, wanting to believe Ethan but a part of him thought otherwise.

~

Meanwhile, Olivia was seated in the same position and zoned out for such a long time that she couldn't hear Angela call her several times. Her slouch and gloomy expression were a reflection of how she felt.

It was only when Angela tapped her on the shoulder that she became alert and flinched as she blinked rapidly as if she had been paying attention all along.

"Is everything alright," asked Angela.

"I'm fine. Did you need something?"

"You might say you're fine but your face says otherwise."

"I'm really fine."

"I don't believe that."

"Just let it go," said Olivia then lowered her gaze.

"I'm here to take care of you and that's what I'll do. Do you need something? Does it hurt somewhere?"

"No, it doesn't." She thought about Ethan and Natalie then looked up at Angela. "Actually, it hurts."