06. 𝘙𝘶𝘭𝘦𝘴

Song: Till death frees me by Zevia

**

~ Asher Alexander Bernardi ~

"May I be excused, sir." I whisper after I finally get Alessandro's attention.

"Go ahead Asher, I'll be up to check on you in a few."

"Okay" I whisper again trying to quicken my steps out of the room, attempting to block out the snide comments as I pass and head back through the house to the comfort of my temporary bedroom.

It feels more safe than any other room I was stuck in, maybe that's because there's a bed for once — or just furniture in general. It doesn't necessarily feel like home but it feels more homely if that makes any sense.

Making my way into my room, letting out a long sigh of relief as I hear the door click behind me, stumbling over to my charging phone messily thrown on my bed and deciding to give Kyan a call just as I said I would yesterday.

It only took two rings before he picked up.

"Ash? Are you alright? I'm on my way." He says as I hear the sound of his keys being picked up.

"Woah slow down I didn't even speak yet, if you want to play hero at least make sure I'm in the same city." I joke.

"What do you mean?" The sound of his keys stopped.

"I'm in Vegas... for now anyway." I mumble slightly.

"You were moved again? Is this placement better or worse? I can drive down there now and be there in the morning."

"I don't know." My voice cracks slightly, "Si- I mean Maxwell was arrested and I was sent to Vegas with my Biological family, I haven't been hit yet so that's a plus."

"That shouldn't have to be a plus Ash-" Kyan sighs. "Wait, biologicals? As in the people that left you in the system to begin with?!" I could hear the anger seeping through his tone.

"I don't know. I'm under my eldest brother's guardianship. I haven't heard a peep about parents and I can't hold a grudge against them for something the sperm donor and incubator did." I explain.

"I get it just let me know if something happens okay? I'll be on the road the second you call."

"I know Cyan. Stop with the mushy shit."

"Did you just call me Cyan?"

"Yes, in fact, I did."

"I'm going to let that slide because you have had an emotional day, don't take advantage of my kindness."

"Who says I'm being emotional?" I question with a raised brow — despite the fact he can't see it anyway.

"Well how are you feeling?" He asks cautiously.