"Oh, my pride and joy. It's my favourite. What drew you to it?"

"It felt like you. I just walked in and everything felt alright. It's perfect."

"Of course it is. Everything I own is perfect. Yourself included."

"I'm not a property. I'm a person."

He looked at his phone as the light came on. "Hold that thought." He answered the call, and his mood changed. He said very little. "Is she doing well?"..... "Then find out! I'll be expecting her at the manor this evening. " And then he ended the call.

"Everything ok?"

"No. My brother's men raided my business partner's house."

"Is she OK?"

"A bit shaken up. She'll stop by the manor this evening. Hope that's fine?" Oh... I have a say in this now? That was fast.

"Why are you asking me? It's your place."

"It's our place. You're stuck with me." I smiled lowly.

"She's welcome. If you trust her, that's fine. But what about your brother?"

"He does this to get attention. I won't give him any."

"Wouldn't he just escalate more?"

"I still wouldn't say anything. He's a child. You don't give into a kid's games."

"Karrion..."

"I'm done discussing my brother." I had pushed too far.

"Ok." I raised my hands in surrender. "I won't force you into anything."  He just paced around for a while, then he stopped and grabbed his things.

"Let's go." He said as he stood in front of me.

"You're leaving work?"

"Yes. Let's go home." I didn't even argue. I just got my bag and we left. The guys followed in two cars behind us. There was this silence. I wasn't upset. I was just quiet. "I'm sorry I snapped at you."

I turned to him. He had held out his hand. I smiled and placed my hand in his. "I just don't want to see you stressed out."

"It's not my brother that's stressing me out."

"Then what is it? Let me help you." He sighed. He opened his arms and I moved closer. I settled in his arms.

"You know that I would give you the world if you ask right?"

"I know. But I don't want that. I want you to be honest with me. You can't keep all these secrets from me."

"I know. And I'm not trying to. I just want to keep you safe."

"I can keep myself safe. I'm not some weak person who needs..."

"Fine. Look, I'm making moves to take control of the Russian Mafia from my brother."

"Wait, why?"

"He's getting too involved in my business. Plus, it was willed to me."

"Don't you think that this will just stir up a lot of drama?"

"Better me than Xavier Kross." Here we go.

"I thought Xavier had stepped away from the Mafia. His dad was the original head right?"

"Yeah. My step dad was his dad's second-in-command. He was loyal to Xavier's dad, but when he saw him spinning out of control, he had to do something. So, he had him killed. My step father took over, and Xavier had to run away to Germany with his mother. My step father was a good man, he would've never hurt them, especially not Xavier. He was just a child then. When my step father realised over time that my step brother had the same tendencies that Xavier's father had, he made me promise to keep my brother in check if I didn't want to take over."