Chapter 11

"So, you just want to check up on him?"

"Yes. Look, he's like a brother to me and I just know that he's worried sick about me. I just want him to know that I'm ok." He contemplated for a while before giving me the phone.

"Fine. I'm trusting you, so don't disappoint me."

"I won't." I stood on my toes and gave him a kiss. His arms went around my waist and pulled me close. He didn't want to let me go. "You have to go, you'll be late for your meeting."

"I'm not sure I want to go for that meeting anymore fiore. It's just hours of boring people talking and I can't stand it." I fixed his suit as he spoke. It's been a week or so since we came to Russia and truly, since our conversation after the Bradley situation, we've been good. We're not...a couple but we live like we are.

"You're the Italian mafia boss, you have to. Besides, I'll be here when you finish. Additionally, I have meetings with my workers via zoom so I'll be busy." Also, I have come to realise that staying here is now a choice. I work from here and I actually like it.

"Yeah. Well, you don't need to work via zoom anymore because we're going back to Italy next week."

"Why? I was just starting to like Russia."

"And we can always visit, but remember, we're the Italian mafia in Russia..."

"And they are not our friends and we are not theirs, I know. It's just..if I go back to Italy, then everything becomes real. Leo. I still have no idea what to say to him."

"I could kill him if that would make it easier for you."

"No! Look, when we get to Italy, I need to talk to him. Please baby." He tightened his grip on my waist and nodded.

"Fine. Just, be careful. Plus, get ready, we're going somewhere today."

"Oh..where?"

"It's more or less an underground poker club so dress classy."

"I always do." He gave me another kiss before leaving the room. I wasn't even dressed. All I was wearing was my bra and panties, cause apparently, that's the only thing Karrion likes to see on me. I put on one of his shirts and stood in the walk in closet. Finally, I could call him.

"Hello?" It was an odd voice. Female. Fragile. Old.

"Hi, I'm Sophie and I'd like to speak with Franco."

"Are you a friend of his?"

"Yes I am. So please can I speak with him?"

"Well, I'm afraid not. Franco left his phone with me just in case you called. He said I should tell you that Leo has him and he won't let him go until you come back. He also said that Leo is giving you a chance to redeem yourself, come alone or..." I could hear the old woman crying on the other end.

"Or what?"

"Or he'll kill my baby!" I was shocked. Leo has Franco?! And he's threatening to kill him? I need to go back, but I need to tell Karrion first. I quickly changed into a black jean with a black top and black ankle high leather boots and then I ran to where his meeting was being held. There were guards everywhere and they wouldn't let me in.

"Look, tell Karrion that it's important. Believe me, he would rather I interrupt his meeting than do what I have in mind as the alternative."

"I'm sorry, but the boss gave strict orders not to be disturbed during this meeting."

"Ok, then let me go in. That way, you wouldn't be the person who disturbed his meeting." But the guard didn't budge. I was losing my patience and I was losing it fast. I didn't want to make a scene but apparently, that seemed like the only way. But no! I won't take that road. As I turned to go back to the room, I ran into that same guard. The one from the jet. I stopped to look at him and he looked right back at me.