EIGHTEEN

Lillevenn slept deeply after consuming his decanter of alcohol when it felt like he drowned. He choked on water that poured like a broken faucet into his throat. He fell from his couch, gagging to bring it all up. He heaved as he looked up to familiar green velvet slippers that made him vomit on the spot. He raised his head to look up into his father's familiar, animalistic features, and all the breath left his lungs in exhaustion.   Despite the golden rope that the Krampen held, his violet eyes were sad.
      "Time to go, beautiful son," he said in his Germanic tongue.
      "Please, Father, you know what she'll do—"
      The Krampen reached down and touched his forehead before he could finish, and he fell limp, unconscious before his head hit the floor. His father leaned down and touched one of his antlers delicately before bringing him into his sack, right next to his sleeping mate.

      A beeping from the control board brought Lieutenant Ashton from a late night snooze. He blinked sleepily before his eyes found the source of the alert. He brought up the screen that showed him the area where an anomaly had been isolated by the ship's computer. He rose from his chair, suddenly fully awake. He turned and strode toward the ready room, not bothering to chime before he walked inside.
      Commander Brandt looked away from his lieutenant commander. Cara turned to look at him with a gentler, curious gaze.
      "Philip?"
      "He's back," he said in a voice raspy from sleep. The commander blinked at him before his features intensified. He rose to his feet, Cara frowning at him.
      "Where?"
      "The diplomatic wing."
      Brandt's features went cold, Cara giving him a resigned look.
      "I supposed we thought it would happen eventually."
      Ashton's jaw tightened as he stared at Brandt for an order, knowing the stingy bastard wouldn't lift a goddamned finger. He'd found that out the hard way.
      "Sir, an intruder has come aboard the Freyja with the intention of abducting a diplomat—"
      Cara's expression gentled on her husband, who didn't take his eyes off his superior.
      "That may be—"
      "Son of a bitch," Ashton snapped, his superior's features going colder.
      "Have you forgotten—"
      "He has been our ally since the beginning, and now—"
      "This is an internal matter, as far as I can see. He is no longer needed—"
      "Have you thought about why she would send Krampus to get him? He's in trouble—"
      "As admirable as your concern—"
      Ashton turned and left his commander's ready room in the middle of speech, William giving his lieutenant commander a tolerant look. Cara raised her hands.
      "The two of you are the bane of my existence," he muttered as he reclaimed his seat.
      "He's right, though."
      William glared up at her. "You need to take him in hand—"
      "How'd that work out for you?"
      "He is my subordinate—"
      "That doesn't mean he's wrong. When this gets back to the other delegates—"
       William tapped the screen of his device in its cradle on the desk.
      "I'd wager it's getting there as we speak."
      She gave him a keen look. "Well played, sir, well played." He gave her a sharp look that hid much. He said nothing but returned his gaze to his screen. She pushed off his desk. "She's turned you into a softie," she whispered on her way out. He couldn't even glare at her back.

      Loridian approached his door that chimed incessantly, thinking it malfunctioned. It slid open at his proximity, looking at the young Midgardian curiously. He thought he recognized him from the bridge but couldn't be certain. He swept past him into his suite, Loridian turning with piquing curiosity as the door slid shut behind him. Alvaen looked up from his device at the stranger in their quarters. The intense-faced crewmember turned toward Loridian.
      "Lillevenn has been taken by Krampus."
      Loridian froze. "Taken where?"
      "Back to Helheim, I can only presume. I don't know how he got on board, but—"
      "When?" Loridian asked in a low voice.
      "About ten minutes—"
       Loridian walked away before he finished speaking, heading towards the bedroom. Alvaen gave the young man a level gaze.
      "We appreciate the information. What made you come to us?"
      Those intense eyes gave nothing away before he turned and left their quarters, Alvaen's curious gaze following him.
      "Are you getting ready or what?" his mate snapped from the bedroom. Alvaen exhaled as he stood, dressed only in a robe.
      "Yes, I'll help you get your boy toy back," he said tolerantly as he walked inside the bedroom.