22

My head pounds as I sit up, feeling the drowsiness of sleep leave my aching body at the sight of the empty bed. Slight panic overwhelms my foggy brain as I wake, but I can't help but smile at the memory of the previous night.

"You're taking my room?" Ashton's eyes glimmered with amusement, watching my buzzing body dance over to the familiar bed with gracelessness. After the shower I never had the chance to take, thanks to the muscular distraction in front of me, I was exhausted and could barely keep my eyes open. The day of dramatic events and irresponsible drinking caught up to me and I was ready to shut down.

"Does it look like I'm joking?" My head tilts with a smile as I plopped my spent body down on the plush mattress, letting it consume me with a comfortable embrace.

"Stubborn as always." He mutters to himself, flashing a teasing grin my way as he slowly steps deeper into his own room. My eyes shut as I grip tighter on the towel wrapped around me that I haven't been able to change out of. Lucky for me, my bag was dangerously close to the shower and while I was otherwise occupied, I wasn't able to notice the water pooling around my belongings and soaking everything inside. The only salvageable item was a pair of sleep shorts, so that's all I had on underneath the thin towel.

"I told you, you'll have to try harder after what you did to me. You're not getting me that easily, and being nice will definitely help your chances." I tease him to hide the harshness of the truth. I hope it didn't come out as rude as it sounded, but he took it with grace. He knew he fucked up, the hint of guilt swirling through his hazel eyes told me just that.

"I know, sweetheart. I'm not arguing with you. Simply trying to get on your nerves." He turns to show me the smug grin that splits on his face with mischief as he digs through his dresser and my eyes automatically roll.

"You're so obnoxious." I huff, folding my arms over my chest and looking up to the ceiling. My eyes stare at the whirring fan above me, following a single blade out of pure boredom while he scavenges, but I have to look away. It'll make me puke, and that's the last thing I need tonight.

"Here," Ashton grunts from across the room after shoving the overfilled drawer shut. He steps over to me while I sit up, and my hands instinctively reach out for the large shirt he held. "You can wear this on one condition,"

My brows lower at his words when he playfully pulls the shirt from my near grasp, knowing my body was begging for the comfort of his clothing.

"And what's that?" I play along, lifting my head to meet his gaze as he levels with me. His eyes darken with a slight smirk as he stares me down, watching my lips part from his proximity

"I better never see you wearing one of his shirts ever again." He mumbles to me. I glance at his lips before I smile, feeling my heart flutter with glee. I knew he was jealous of Calum.

"Then don't give me a reason to wear his ever again." I whisper to him, grinning at the spark in his wide eyes. He's not used to me fighting back, and I don't think he ever will be.

His eyes narrow as he looks at me, glancing at each feature on my flushed face with focus as his tongue runs over his lips. My breath becomes short as he leans closer, teasing with his mouth ghosting over mine as his lips curve.

"Deal."

My fingers thread over the silky sheets with bliss as I take in the warmth from my own body heat, wanting nothing more than to wrap myself in the cologne scented bedding and lay eternally in his bed.

I know our conversation was aimless flirting, but it made me optimistic. I had hopes for Ashton, and I think last night struck a nerve with him and gave him the realization he needed.