01

"Cara!" My roommate's voice wakes me from my slumber.  "Your alarm's been going off for ten minutes!  Get your ass up!"

With a groan, I swing my arm over to my bedside table, silencing the torture of the default alarm.  My eyes struggle to open and are immediately blinded by the sun peeking through the curtains.

After staring at the ceiling for a few minutes, wondering whether or not to skip class and get some well needed sleep, I roll my eyes and climb out of bed.

"Don't you have class today?" I ask and glance at the time once my glasses are on my face. 8:12am.

"Nope," Alex smiles and I glare at her with envy as she cuddles into her sherpa blanket.  "Professor's sick."

"Lucky bitch." I mutter to myself, though she sticks her tongue out at me with a laugh.  She always found my morning struggle amusing, as we were both more nocturnal and didn't like to get up early.

"Are you excited for work tonight?" Alex's groggy voice asks while I tug on a pair of leggings, totally not in the mood to dress up.  I only had one class today, and it's just a workday to continue our rough drafts for an upcoming project, so I don't think my Sunday best is necessary.

"Yes and no.  I hope we actually have a reliable bar back tonight." A yawn slips from my lips as I respond, throwing on an oversized Berkeley crewneck. The cuffs are slightly torn and there's a few paint stains on the faded blue fabric, but goddamn is it comfy.

"I think Luke's on.  He always works Fridays." She says and wiggles her eyebrows once I look at her and the devious smile on her face.  "Come on, you guys always flirt."

"We're just bored.  And he never makes me run down to get the ice, so." I defend myself while I quickly brush my hair, trying to get ready as fast as I can.  "You flirt with him too, you can't even lie."

"He's cute, and that lip ring is to die for." She smirks at me.  "He acts all innocent, but that piercing says otherwise.  One of us has to corrupt him."

"You're insane, Lex." My head shakes at her remark.  Luke was cute, to be fair, with his baby blue eyes and light blonde curls that he grew out over the summer.  He was easily one of my favorite coworkers since I started at the Alibi, about two years ago.  He's always been the most considerate and willing to help out, and as a bartender, sometimes we need all the help we can get.  Plus, when one of the customers get too rowdy, his height makes him super intimidating. 

And sure we flirted a bit, but everyone does there.  It's a bar.  We got bored at times and would tease a bit, but we grew a good friendship over the years.

"I probably won't be here by the time you're done with class, so I'll see you at work tonight." Alex yawns, hinting that she's about to clock out and fall back asleep.  God, I wish that could be me.

"See you at work." I laugh at her and slip on my shoes, grab my keys and head out of the dorm.

*

"So, if it's a California King, but we live in California, would it just be considered a king?" Alex breaks her silence of over a half hour, and Jess bursts into laughter.

"You've been staring at the ceiling for forty minutes and that's what you were thinking?" My best friend teases and grabs the joint from her lips.  "You're cut off."

"I mean, Jess, it is a valid question." I defend my roommate as I try my best to get ready.  Jess and I always worked weekends together, and Alex usually joined us for our pre-work ritual in our dorm which typically consisted of a bunch of makeup, me playing hairstylist, and a smoke circle.