Chapter 34 - Nirvana: Live At Reading (Part III)

Ashlyn

Okay no doubt, this had to be the most stressful concert we've ever played at. At least for me.

I could feel my fucking legs.

But at last, it was time for the final song which was Smells Like Teen Spirit no doubt.

"Are you alright?" Krist asked me as he patted my back gently. I nodded.

"Just really tired." I confessed. "I wonder how Tony still has energy" Krist laughed. "But I guess should have enough juice for one more song" I said. Krist smiled.

"Or two?" He offered. I looked confused as Kurt began playing the melody of Boston's 'More Than A Feeling'. I groaned inwardly but couldn't help but smile at the fact that Kurt enjoyed poking fun at crowds.

He knew everyone was expecting Teen Spirit.

And it just struck me how alike the sounds of Teen Spirit and More Than A Feeling were.

Nonetheless we continued playing with Dave and Krist singing sounding pretty good actually. Kurt shot a smile at Krist and I as we continued to troll the audience who couldn't even care less as they kept cheering and jamming along.

Well, no one really knew what to expect from a Nirvana concert after all.

Eventually Kurt got to playing Smells Like Teen Spirit, intentionally butchering the verse riff and the solo.

I shook my head at him but it was understandable. It was really a chore when most people only paid attention to one song when he had other ones that were just as good.

But then something funny happened. Funny as in strange, a little out of the ordinary. This occurred while Kurt sang the third and final verse of the song. Immediately after the solo.

"And I forget just why I taste, oh well I guess you make me smile" He sang as he turned over and smiled at me once he sang the line 'Oh well I guess you make me smile'. (The title of the book too hehe)

The actual lyric was 'Oh well I guess it makes me smile' but he butchered it on purpose.

Was that just to poke fun or did he direct it at me?

"I found it hard, you're hard to find. Oh well, whatever, nevermind" He finished as he gazed at me once last time, butchering the line 'I found it hard, it's hard to find' before turning back to the audience.

My heart thumped loudly as we played the final chords of the song. I prayed to God that I wouldn't mess it up and thankfully I didn't.

To wrap up Kurt played a 'grunged up' version of the Star Spangled banner while I sat on a nearby speaker, finally thankful to rest my legs.

Despite being so tired, I've never felt so alive. Playing in front of the largest audience I've ever seen and hell singing a song I co-wrote. It was intense!

What a concert!

Eddie

I groaned loudly once Chris told me the entire story. Was this really my friend? Was I friends with someone who could do something this despicable?

"Say something man" Chris egged.

"I'm disappointed in you Chris. Honestly. I still can't believe you'd do something like this... again"

"I know." Chris said with a sigh. "It's just... I felt... I... I don't know"

"Okay what if she didn't have the guys to protect? What if she was just a groupie who said no to your advances? What would you had done?" I asked. Chris was silent but we both knew the answer to my question.