31

If you don’t terrify people a little, what’s the point?

Wyatt wasn’t behind the attack on the Pierces, but he deserved the splash of animal blood on his bedroom wall wording ‘For Tristan, with love’ as I don’t know where to find Tristan and do it on his walls.

I glance across the sofa at Ashley. We are at the Lethal. She is sitting at the end of the other side of the L-shaped sofa.

Wild cat, is what she was yesterday. Knocked out five guards of Wyatt’s. That’s her job, I know, but I was impressed.

We succeeded in our plan without a doubt. Wyatt lives alone in his mansion, though with servants. His wife died last year and man, did he grieve like a little bitch in media and interviews.

His son is supposed to take over him, but apparently, Wyatt is too possessive of his money and business.

“I can’t believe you two planned it all in one day and executed it with no help.” Grace comments as Ashley stops talking about our adventure in the Wyatt mansion last night.

“Where’s the pen drive now?” Grace asks.

Wyatt had stored the black money account details, the location of meetings with high-profile dealers, the farms where the raw material came from, and the phone numbers and names of everyone involved in this business.

“Safe. With me.” She takes the hint and doesn’t ask further about it. I hate I can’t tell her about it, or Ashley, or Aiden. Even Stefan. I haven’t told him where I have kept the pen drive since he called this morning.

“But why didn’t you tell anyone about it?” She asks again. “Your plan. Why not involve the team?”

Ashley demands the answer too, through her eyes at me, but I can’t tell them the reason. What leader will keep secrets from their team? A good leader, perhaps.

I open my mouth to lie my way out, but my phone saves me. Think of the devil.

“Aiden. What is it?” I stand up from my slouched state and listen to the scatter of noises through the phone.
“Could you—” he says. “Could you come to my place?”

I frown. “Why?” I ask, then catching up on his feverish voice, “Are you okay?”

“I don’t know. I have been in bed all day yesterday. My body’s on fire and I can’t get up.” He speaks. I’m already on my way out as I toss quick, ‘I’ll be back’ to the girls.

“Where’s Luke then?” I step outside of the Lethal and search for my keys to the car. I must have forgotten them inside. Shit.

I turn around to walk back in.

Someone blocks me.

“Brutus?”

“Hello again.” He puts a cloth over my nose and mouth. I drop my phone and punch him in the guts. He stumbles away. “You bitch!”

I step forward with aiming another punch at his face when someone kicks me on the back of my knee and I fall to the ground. Another kick on the other leg and I’m face down on the ground next to my phone.

“Aiden! Can you hear me?” I scream into the phone, pushing off the ground with the strength of my hands. The obnoxious-smelling cloth comes back to my nose and this time, two men are holding me face down on the ground.

I scream louder, for Ashley and Grace cannot hear me through the metal door, but for Aiden to listen. But he already hung up.

………………  ………………