21

Tristan stands up and comes near me. He holds my face with both of his hands and places his lips on the top of my head. "I don't want to hurt you." He whispers. "I never did. I have been watching after you for years to know that you are safe."

Then he gives me a long look. "I don't need you to look out for me. I'm not a kid."

He smiles, a sad smile. "I know. But I am." He says. "You wanted to end this hatred between us. At least that's what I thought when you called me in that coffee shop."

"Where you almost killed me, yes."

"Have you not listened to a single word that I said?" he sneers. "I would never hurt you, Lilith. You think all these years working for a man like Wyatt didn't even teach me how to target?"

I gulp and watch as he unravels the truth for me. Of course, he could have killed me that day in the coffee shop. He is Tristan, for god's sake. He could have shot me straight in the head or heart with no one realizing. How can I be so stupid to think I escaped the place smartly?

He let me escape.

I have so many years of locking everything away from the radar of my sanity until there's an immense wall between me and the world. I've seen how stunningly it can backfire and get the people I love in danger. I forgot someone who doesn't share my blood can care for me too.

"I wanted to see your face that day," I tell him truthfully. "I faked the friendship."

"Well, you got what you wanted. Now give me what I want." He says. "Friendship. Leave Wyatt alone."

I force down the intuitive anger that rises every time Wyatt's name comes up.

"Wyatt's been spoiling the Pierce name forever," I say matter-of-factly. "There's no way I'm leaving him alone."

"From now on, he won't." He promises. "You have my word."

Trusting Tristan is like putting my hand in a lion's mouth and hoping he won't rip it from shred to shred.

I was right. If businessmen obey Wyatt, Wyatt obeys Tristan. No one has figured out the reason behind it yet.

"Anything else you would like me to agree to?" he asks.

"Stop stalking me. Stop breaking into my house."

He shakes his head. "I can't agree with that." He says.

"Fine. Forget the friendship then."

He stops himself from cursing.

"No more breaking into the house, agreed." He says finally. "I will keep an eye on you. I don't fully trust you after the coffee shop incident."

Curiosity sinks its claws into me as to why he wants this friendship so badly.

"Why are you desperate to make peace with me?" I ask.

"I'll tell you when the time comes."

I pull on the handcuffs. "Release me."

He leans toward me again, amused once again, putting his hands over my cuffs. "What's the rush?" he says, his breath brushing over my face. "We have so much to catch up on."

With that said, his finger travels down the side of my face, and then he leaves. Opening and banging the metal door close.

I knew he wouldn't let go of me. I'm an asset to him. Tristan is smart. Very smart sometimes. He will make me sign an actual contract of truce. Tell me to arrange a meeting between Austin Pierce and Wyatt and then, like a professional, call it a friendship.

I'd be damned if I let him anywhere near the Pierces.

A gunshot is fired in a distance. Then another and another. Screams and fights break into somewhere outside this room.

I close my eyes and lean back to catch some rest before I have to take charge and responsibility again.

I screwed him over again. If I fail to catch him this time, my doom is not lurking too far away then.

***