XXXV

━━━━━━❰·❉·❱━━━━━━

━━━━━━❰·❉·❱━━━━━━

~ VULPES PILUM MUTAT NON MORES ~

KAI'S POV

Enzo was going to regret that decision. Big time.

Before he and his spunky blonde friend could understand what was happening, I climbed to my feet off the glass-covered sidewalk with a chuckle and cloaked myself. Through the broken window of Scull Bar, I watched in amusement as the duo looked around desperately in search of me, confused as to where I had gone so swiftly.

As long as they don't try to kill me, I will behave — that was the deal, right? Well, thanks to Enzo's severe lack of impulse control, my courteous streak of good behaviour ends now.

Time to get back on track.

The shattered glass had left me with a few cuts and scrapes, blood trickling from multiple areas of my body, but I barely noticed. I had more important things to care about, like tracking down my twin while our younger siblings located the knife filled with her magic as they'd reluctantly agreed to do.

Reaching down with a smirk, I picked up a large shard of the broken window and walked away from the commotion surrounding me, inside the bar and out. Glass crunched under my boots as I moved but I continued on my way, unfazed.

I could just waltz right on into the hospital and search for her, but I'd have to jump through a few hoops to convince the receptionists to let me in without any major life-threatening injuries — somehow I doubted a few small gashes were going to cut it.

Besides, where was the fun in doing things the simple way?

As I trudged across campus, keeping my eyes peeled for anything I could use, I turned down a secluded side road. A trio of intoxicated college students were headed towards me and I took advantage of the perfect opportunity presented just when I needed it.

Hiding the shard of glass behind my back, I clutched at my stomach with my free hand and limped towards them, groaning as if inflicted with a serious injury.

"Please," I whimpered. "Help me!"

Finally noticing me amidst their drunken conversation, the group paused.

"Hey, man, are you okay?" the only male asked cautiously. "You don't look so good..."

"Are you hurt?" one of the girls added. She had mousy hair and a splashing of freckles. "Do you need help?"

Nodding, I simply said, "Yes."

"What can we do?" she wondered, moving closer.

"Help me find my sister," I pleaded.